Many men are searching for ways to get thicker, fuller beards. It’s a sign that beards are trending, with popular styles like the ducktail beard and Van Dyke. While not all the latest beard styles are long and bushy, many have unique style requirements in need of a beard brush.
Beard brushes help you grow a thicker beard by stimulating your hair follicles and directing hair where to grow. The best beard brushes have boar bristles and a durable wood body. Owning a beard brush is the first step to cultivating a stronger beard, and it’s one of the specialty grooming tools for thicker beards.
Our guide to the top 8 beard brushes shows you what brushes are best for beards, how to use them to grow a thicker beard, and premium materials that go into premium beard brushes.
2020 Guide to Beard Brushes
When it comes to your beard care routine, there are a few things that every beardsman needs. Some of the best routines include:
- Gentle beard shampoo or wash
- High-quality beard oils or balms
- Trimming and grooming your beard with the right tools
- For Thicker Beards Using a boar bristle brush to direct your hair where to grow
Why use a brush?
A beard brush is a perfect tool to start your beard grooming kit. Even without beard oil, a special beard brush can stimulate growth and improve patchy beards.
- Smooth & Style
- Distribute Natural Oils
- Clean your Beard
- Train your Beard
- Perfect your Look
To use a beard brush, you can simply use downstrokes to straighten and detangle your facial hair. If you have a patchy beard style, you can use the brush to push hair in the right direction and cover-up patchy spots.
Best Type of Brush
When it comes to brushing your beard, you can probably use any brush to detangle it and straighten it, but when brushes have the right bristles and width between them, it works better for beard growth. One of the reasons for this is improved blood flow to hair follicles due to the bristles exfoliating the skin.
Military-Style vs Traditional Handle
A military-style beard brush typically looks like an oval or small rectangular piece of wood with the bristles on one side. It doesn’t have a handle since you hold it in your palm and brush down with the bristles to detangle and soften your hair.
Traditional handle brushes are more advantageous if you have a short beard style or lots of angles because you can easily control part of the brush to get into smaller areas or patches of hair. However, both brushes work well for long beards too.
Boar Bristles vs Horse Bristles vs Synthetic
There are multiple kinds of brush bristles to look out for, but the highest in quality and most popular are made of boar bristles. These are stiff and versatile enough to work through even the thickest of beards, and they offer exfoliation if you’re struggling with beard itch.
However, some brushes are made from horsehair, and these offer a similar stiffness to boar bristles, except not as rigid or rough on your skin.
Finally, synthetic bristles are cheaper than boar bristles, but they don’t always work to fluff out and soften beard hair like a boar bristle brush. These designs are vegan and animal-friendly though.
When looking at the design of the brush, you may notice that it’s angled or rounded so that it better sits in your palm. These brushes work better for long, thick beards because it takes less time to go over your entire beard. In 1 to 3 strokes, you can brush through your beard using an angled brush.
See our new guide – Beard Brush vs Comb, where they go head-to-head!
Typical Brush Cost
Beard brushes range in price from just $5 to $50 or more, depending on its construction or if part of a beard grooming kit. Boar bristle brushes are higher quality and offer more benefits, which is why you may see them priced at over $10.
However, some beard brushes include other accessories, which is a far better value for the money. The Beard Club sells a variety of kits with beard brushes, but some of them are small or not made with boar bristles, which is why they may only cost $20. However, there are plenty of boar bristle brush kits that cost less than $15 or even $10.
If shopping for a budget-friendly beard brush, you should still make sure that the brush is large enough and has the right bristles for your beard thickness and length.
Top 8 Beard Brushes for 2020
When it comes to choosing the top brushes, we focused on the design, type of bristles, customer satisfaction, and durability of each beard brush, but we also gave extra points to companies that included little extras and accessories.
While boar hair brushes aren’t always expensive, our research found that a few companies charge a premium for attaching boar bristles to a wooden handle. So, we left lesser-quality beard brushes out of this review so you could the pack leaders.
Have an unruly beard? Check out our product review of the Best Beard Straighteners.
1. Kent Boar Hair Beard Brush
The Kent premium boar hair brush is the perfect texture and width to brush a beard, whether long or short.
- Men's Beard and Mustache Brush with Long Ultra Soft Tufts of Hand Blended Horse Hair and Nylon
- Beechwood Oval Design, Larger Than The BRD2, With an Ergonomic Wood Handle For Better Grip
- Perfect Beard & Mustache Care. For Home or Travel. Perfect Gift For Men
- Comes With a Beautiful Hand-Stitched Cotton Travel Bag Printed on Both Sides and A Travel Box, Every day use, for Home or Travel. Perfect for Men, Fathers, Long or Short Beards
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Kent is the world's oldest brush manufacturer since 1777. Proudly displaying the Royal Warrant of the Queen. We guarantee you’ll love our product!. We offer a 100% money back guarantee to all our customers. No questions...
With angled bristles and an ergonomic design, the Kent boar bristle brush stands out as a top choice for anyone who wants to brush their beard or mustache, whether to improve your look or to improve hair growth.
This is why we love the Kent beard brush so much. It’s also the perfect shape and size, with a classic wooden handle for ease of use and better control over brushing.
This brush is the go to for many modern barbers, but the premium price may be too steep for at home use.
Where to Buy
2. Seven Potions Beard Brush
Made in Pear Wood with 100% first cut, the beard brush by Seven Potions has firm boar bristles to tame and soften your beard hair.
- THE LAST BRUSH TO BUY: A beard brush made of 100% first-cut boar bristles in pear wood body.
- TAME YOUR BEARD: The boar bristles are stiff enough with the proper density to tame the most unruly beard.
- MAKES YOUR BEARD SOFT: The natural bristles carry the natural oils of your skin and facial hair and keep your beard soft and healthy.
- CLEANS AND EXFOLIATES: No matter if you wash your beard, use the brush to get rid of beard dundruff and impurities.
- QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE: The pear wood body and the great backbone of boar bristles allow for excellent grip and outstanding performance.
Their military-style wooden brush is a no-nonsense, high-quality boar bristle design that works for exceptionally well for both short and long beards. It also serves any type of hair texture, smoothing, and straightening your strands for better styling and growth.
Where to Buy
3. Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Brush
It’s made with 100% boar bristles, and it’s slightly angled in design to allow for more ergonomic coverage while brushing. We like this brand because they’re eco-friendly and make a high-quality premium product for less than $20.
- Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Brush for men - 100% Wild Boar Bristles Brush & Natural Bamboo Wood Handle - 100% Natural Materials & Eco-Friendly
- For full & short beards. Great to use with Beard Shampoo & Balm. Conditioning natural strong bristles for best natural beard growth - Anatomically Contoured to face neck beard & hands - Solid Natural Bamboo Handle - Luxury Grade Finish
- Simple to use for a full healthy soft and fluffy beard | Easy Grooming: Simply brush dry beard. Can use to spread beard balm & beard oil while detangling and brushing beard- for a full fluffy shiny beard. Relieves beard dandruff & dry itchy skin.
- Professor Fuzzworthy Beard Care Beard Brush made in partnership with BASS BRUSHES - A World Class Brush Company since 1979
- Softens beard, promotes beard growth, and detangles hair. Great to use with Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Balm, Beard Shampoo Wash & Beard Conditioner!
We found that this brush easily straightened and softened our beard hair for a nice, fluffy yet stylized finish. It was perfect for detangling some unruly strands below the jawline as well.
Where to Buy
4. Zeus 100% Boar Bristle Brushes (Travel Size)
The pros may love the Kent boar bristle brush, but the Zeus boar hair beard brush is perfect for those who want a versatile bristled brush in a smaller/travel size. The smaller design is also perfect for shorter beards and your mustache.
- 100% BOAR BRISTLES: Outfitted with 3 rows of firm first-cut natural boar hair bristles.
- FIRM BRUSH: Boar bristles make this brush very firm for smoothing out the toughest of tangles.
- MASSAGE: Gently massage the skin beneath your beard for stronger, healthier, protected skin.
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Pocket-sized beard brush is perfect for when you are on-the-go. Great for car or office.
- DIMENSIONS: 3.25"L x 1.125"W x 1.125"H | Bristle Length: 0.75" | Made in Germany
For the price, it’s more valuable to the quality compared to the expensive Kent boar bristle brush. You’ll spend less than $15 on this wooden boar brush, and may last a lifetime.
Brushing a longer, thicker beard will take much longer with this size brush. For longer beards, I’d suggest a larger brush for better coverage. If you’d like to stay with Zeus, they have a larger premium, military-style, oval beard brush perfect for a longer, thicker beard. Zeus also offers a beard brush kit with 3 brush styles with either soft or hard bristles.
Where to Buy
5. Beard Brush by Zilberhaar
Zilberhaar is another beard care brand we love and has massive reviews. The Zilberhaar beard brush works well with beard oil and softens your beard easily, taking only a few strokes to detangle and get through even the thickest of hair.
- MADE IN GERMANY: Quality craftsmanship with all natural materials. Pure stiff boar bristles and pear wood. Minimal chemical treatments because quality is always a good idea.
- REDUCE BEARD ITCH: Our beard brush is designed to untangle your beard, penetrate through the hairs and exfoliate your skin. This reduces beard itch and straightens your beard. A must for your beard grooming kit.
- SOFTENS YOUR BEARD: The natural boar bristles untangle your beard hair and exfoliate your skin to promote healthy beard growth by removing debris such as dandruff and reducing risk for ingrown hairs
- A GIFT FOR MEN: This beard grooming tool is a perfect way to show appreciation to his facial hair. He wont know how to live without a beard brush after he has tried it. Guaranteed. The perfect skin care tool for men.
- HONEST. NATURAL. SUSTAINABLE: ZilberHaar beard and hair grooming products are made with natural materials from sustainable sources. Quality is the top priority for all our beard care products. Lifetime guarantee instructions inside.
We like the handle on this brush better than the military-style because it gives you more control over the direction and grooming of your beard hair.
The bristles on this brush can be pretty stiff at first, which is helpful if you have a very thick beard, but it can feel rough on your skin. It’s a great tool to get rid of beard itch.
Where to Buy
6. BFWood Round Beard Brush with Black Walnut
While we’re a fan of oval brushes, some other styles like the BFWood round brush also get the job done and with greater detail. This beard brush is a made of boar’s hair and a black walnut wood handle.
- Sophisticated boar bristles never scratch your skin
- Yet firm enough to evenly distribute balm or moustache wax
- Amazing gift for the bearded man in your life
- Size:2.4"x2.4"x1.6". Perfect for travelling, small travel case included
- Easy-to-hold design, solid black walnut wood with natural texture
For a smaller beard brush, the round-style handle makes it easier to maneuver. The unique, stylish design makes it a must have for precision grooming.
Where to Buy
7. BoarKlawz 100% Natural Boar Bristle Brush
BoarClawz Beard company is growing in popularity and makes high-quality beard grooming products. Their not too soft, not too hard boar hair bristle brush is no exception.
- The first natural boar bristle hair brush worthy of the BushKlawz name!
- Our fine boar facial brush is great for applying and distributing your favorite beard oil and beard balm.
- The natural bristles are great for getting to the roots of your beard to stimulate the hair follicles and the skin underneath the great mane of yours.
- The bristles are the perfect blend of hard and soft bristles, Stiff enough to get though and manage the beard & hair, but soft enough so you don’t feel like you’re rubbing sandpaper on your face.
- Whether you have the beard of a striking Viking or an honest amish man, our beard brush will help you manage your beard massage the skin underneath to ensure that you’re in the grave before you shave.
This brush truly does feel amazing and works well to soften your beard hair without roughing up your skin.
We also love that this beard brush is very affordable. With its military-style design, it easily fits in your palm so you can move through your hair quickly.
Where to Buy
8. Grow a Beard Brush and Comb Kit
When you want to start off your beard grooming routine the right way, the Grow a Beard Brush and Comb Kit should be your first purchase.
- VERY SIMPLE BUT VERY EFFECTIVE: The GROW ALPHA BEARD Straightener give you a very quick heating process, and Include a easy removable out layer comb, to prevent skin scalding and burns against the ceramic heating plate.
- DESIGNED FOR BEARDS: Lightweight & compact great for home and travel, made from long lasting and durable raw materials, created to last forever.
- MULTI-FUNCTION BEARD STRAIGHTENING COMB: Now you can volumize, curl, or straighten all types of beards, any time any where with this portable GROW ALPHA BEARD electric and comb.
- MAKES A GREAT GIFT: The beard styling brush make the perfect present for your favorite bearded man, presented in premium gift ready package.
- OUR PROMISE IS: If for any reason you do not completely love the kit, contact us, and we'll take care of it, no question asked. The Grow a Beard set is going fast at this price, so click the "add to cart button" to enjoy your new premium and friendly beard set now.
Both the brush and comb set are necessary to detangle and soften your beard for better styling potential, but it also receives exceptional reviews from customers.
The brush is durable and made from bamboo, while the bristles are boar hair. However, these are a little bit thicker than other brushes on the market, which is great for long-term use.
Where to Buy
Beard Brush Verdict
We reviewed over 50 different brushes to find the ones that work the best based on our experience and customer reviews.
Out of all the brushes popular today, the best beard brush based on hair thickness and health after use is the Grow a Beard Brush and Comb Beard Kit.
We love this set because of its high-quality design and affordability. You also get a pair of barber shears to help with trimming away stray hairs.