Do derma rollers help with beard growth? Also known as beard rollers, these handy tools are growing in popularity to fix patchy beards and smooth your skin texture. If you have trouble with slow facial hair growth, perhaps this is the easier way to roll into a full, thick beard.
A beard derma roller is a facial tool with tiny needles that’s rolled over your skin to improve blood flow and skin texture. The beard tool uses this microneedling process for overall skin health and thicker beard growth.
So, if you’re curious whether this method can improve your beard, we’ll answer all your questions, plus you’ll get the best derma roller selections we’ve reviewed.
How do beard rollers work?
A beard roller works by microneedling the facial areas where hair growth is desired. The roller typically has up to 540 tiny titanium needles that puncture the dermis. The minor injury triggers nutrient-rich blood and collagen-rich tissue to stimulate new facial hair growth.
The better beard rollers are commonly made of titanium, the premium rollers gold plated and the cheaper version made of plastic.
Derma rollers were first used by women to smooth skin and reduce rosacea. When men started using these devices on patchy beards, they found that it led to significant facial hair growth. See the time lapse below.
The Science Behind Derma Rollers
Derma rolling has been around for years, and studies show that it can improve hair growth, whether for your beard or scalp hair. There are little to minor side effects, and it may help with the production of collagen and keratin.
Although brands are marketing derma rollers and beard rollers differently, they have exactly the same design. Here’s how derma rollers help with beard growth:
Derma rollers rely on blood circulation to stimulate hair follicles and increase hair production.
Tiny micro-needles on the derma roller puncture your skin, and as your body begins the healing process, blood and hormones rush to the area. For men, this may lead to improved follicular growth.
Previously, men believed that brushing your beard with a boar bristle brush also helped, but the needles in the derma roller go a step further.
Both keratin and collagen are important components for hair growth, and both of these can be stimulated with derma rolling.
Derma rolling for Beard Growth
I’ve found the best way to use beard rollers for hair growth is by adding some other beard growth hacks to stimulate growth. For example, beard oil can moisturize your skin and lead to healthy follicular growth.
You can use beard oil after derma rolling to ease irritation and heal your skin quickly.
Just a small dab of beard oil can be worked into your beard area to soothe your skin and help with stimulating beard growth.
Combine Hair Loss products with rolling
Minoxidil creams for hair loss also help with the growth of beards, particularly when used with a beard derma roller. You don’t have to use a lot to fill in patches, but if you want overall thicker hair growth, a light application every day with derma rolling is a good idea for faster growth.
How to Use a Beard roller
Just like when you exfoliate your beard, the derma roller is a simple tool that you roll over your face to improve skin texture and stimulate hair growth.
There are a few simple steps to ensure you get the most out of a beard roller and improve your hair growth:
- Wash your face and beard with a gentle cleanser, then completely dry your skin and beard.
- Place the derma roller on any areas with hair loss and gently roll it across, letting the micro-needles penetrate your skin.
- Don’t push the needles in too hard (you needn’t draw blood to get results).
- Apply a beard oil after derma rolling to enhance growth.
- Optional: Use minoxidil creams on bald spots to improve hair growth even more.
You should only use a derma roller 1 to 2 times a week. Additional use over what’s recommended won’t help with growing facial hair, and it could damage your skin as it needs time to heal and repair.
See it work
Paul D’Onofrio has some great advice for using the derma roller and shows you how easy it’s to fill in patches with this unique skincare tool.
Best Beard Roller for Facial Hair Growth
There are a few derma rollers on the market that work better for growing facial hair and achieve thicker results. Here are our top picks:
1. JJ Ellie – Dermal Microneedle Beard Roller (kit) – Titanium
For those serious about beard growth, we recommend the JJ Ellie dermal roller, available on Amazon.No products found. No products found.
It has the most reviews for any beard roller and reviewers boast lots of success. It’s a bit more expensive than the others, but has a superior microneedle roller with .025mm 540 Titanium needles and is our top pick.
2. Roselyn – Facial Derma Roller for Beards
The Roselyn Derma Roller is a great value option if you’re just testing the waters with beard rolling and don’t want to spend much money.
- LIKE MAGIC – Wrinkles and large pores no more! Daily usage will turn back time on your skin, restoring youth, and giving you a luminous, vibrant and healthy glow.
- SAFE AND PAINLESS – Our Derma roller needles are the ideal size at .25mm, leaving your skin feeling gently massaged with no pain or pricks.
- EASY AND SIMPLE – Just roll over your skin to promote collagen, elasticity, and firmness while magnifying the benefits of your skincare products.
- PROFESSIONAL RESULTS – Show off skin that looks endlessly pampered by professional routine beauty treatments—but at DIY secret prices, and from the comfort of your own home!
- We know you'll love our products as much as we love making them for you. Shop with confidence knowing we will make it right if you are even slightly dissatisfied.
This multi-purpose roller has 540 titanium microneedles at .25mm which is standard. Solid base of reviews with growth results for patchy beard.
3. YOUBEAUL – Beard Derma Roller for Beard Growth & Care
This slick, comfortable YOUBEAUL beard roller is the newcomer so there aren’t as many reviews. So, it’s the mid-range priced roller and shows better results when paired with quality beard growth vitamins.
- HEALTHIER &THICKER BEARD - Beard Derma Roller will change your beard growth, help promote a much healthier, thicker beard, promote your beard growth.
- EASY & EFFORTLESS - Formulated with only the high quality 540 Grade A Titanium. YOOBEAUL uses only the high quality material to produce our highly effective, gentle derma tool which is the solution for maximizing results.
- SAFE AND PAINLESS - Our beard care tool has 0.25mm size which is the best and safe length for beginner to intermediate at home use. Just clean before any use and roll vertically, horizontally, and diagonally on the coverage areas about 5 - 10 times...
- BEARD GROWTH DERMA ROLLER REFILL -This product is a Refill for the YOOBEAUL Beard Growth Derma Roller that is part of our Beard Growth Kit.
- THE YOOBEAUL GUARANTEE: All YOOBEAUL products come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Just contact us if for any reason you’re not happy with your purchase.
Men swear by the 540 titanium 0.25 mm needles for a smoothe experience. Promoting to . This derma roller is a solid best option for beginners or users who want fill in patches and thicken beard hair all over.
Read our complete review on the Best Beard Growth Kits.