If you want to get the smoothest bald shave possible, then you’ll need a pair of the best balding clippers with high-powered cutting blades and durable designs. These grooming tools have been used by professional barbers for years to help men easily get the shaved look.
The B&B team reviewed the balding clippers that men are using today and found which ones had the best cutting power for smooth results. We also review the features you should look for in the best balding clippers on the market.
Buyer’s Guide to Best Balding Clippers
Balding clippers are sophisticated, electric haircutting tools, providing reliable power and sharp cuts for a close, smooth shave.
The way you shave your head is all about precision, getting so close with each pass that you finish shaving in record time. Maybe that’s why GQ listed the 100 powerful bald men who do share this classic look (we were surprised Jeff Bezos is only #5!).
When done right, shaving your head is an amazingly profitable experience. The right tool just makes it glide closer. This is why we wanted to look at the best balding clippers on the market.
After testing a dozen of the best balding clippers, we began noticing which features really mattered and why some clippers simply work better than others for cutting hair, whether you like a super close shave or want to fade, buzz, or taper your hair.
Here’s a quick look at the specifications for balding clippers we liked best:
The best balding clippers come with a motor that delivers cutting power, which is measured in the amount of cuts per minute. There are also three different motor types, including electromagnetic, pivot, and rotary.
Each of these motors can deliver power, but rotary is the most common. However, electromagnetic motors have the most durability and power. These clippers typically last forever due to the motor having fewer parts to clean and maintain.
The design really matters for all hair trimmers and balding clippers, but it’s especially important to have high-quality materials for the casing. For example, Wahl Balding Clippers uses stainless steel.
We also prefer electromagnetic motors to rotary motors for that ultimately smooth result. Therefore, we suggest clippers like the Andis T Outliner or Andis Fade Master.
Finally, the best balding clippers come with a full kit that includes several accessories, but the quality of the attachment combs must be checked. These should be durable, non-plastic guard combs that are easy to attach. We also want to use sizes closer to 000 thru 00000 for extra smooth, no stubble head shaves.
The next feature we look for is a close cutting length. Balding clippers must be able to deliver a sharp close shave for guys who want a shiny bald head. Even if you like some stubble, you want to make sure that the blades are sharp.
Cutting guides or blade guards can be beneficial if you plan on using your clippers for bald fades and longer stubble haircuts.
Blade Width and Blade Teeth
The best clippers for bald men will have wider blades, which are made for cutting large areas at a time so you don’t have to go over your head so many times. However, one drawback to wider blades is that you may find it harder to maneuver around your neck and ears.
According to our tests, the blade width to choose for a balding clipper is around 1.5 inches wide.
The blade teeth are also special in a balding clipper. You generally want blades that are shallower and close together, rather than long and wide apart. This works better for super close shaves.
Corded vs Cordless Clippers
The most convenient option is to have both. While you may think it’s easy to charge a pair of clippers, you won’t realize it until it’s too late that you have to plug in your clippers to charge before shaving. It’s a hassle, which is why great brands make it easy to do both.
Corded clippers tend to feel more powerful, but lithium ion batteries in newer clippers charge faster and provide the same energy as a corded version.
If you shave in the shower, you probably don’t use electric clippers. However, some models are water resistant or even waterproof. These are typically easier to clean because you don’t have to worry about parts becoming corroded.
Warranty and Customer Support
The best balding clipper brands back up their products with a warranty. Some even provide a money-back guarantee to ensure that you’re satisfied.
It’s always important to check how the company’s customer service works before purchasing a product. Most brands on our list below offer amazing customer support, but let us know your experience.
Best Balding Clippers (Reviews Updated 2020)
If you want the smoothest head possible, these are the best balding clippers available on the market. These selections below held up to our high standards: close smooth shaves, adjustable blades (down to size 00000), high-powered motors, and lots of accessories.
1. Wahl Professional Balding Clippers
The Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper is a barber’s favorite tool, but it’s also the choice for home use because of its super close shave.
With a powerful motor, durable guide combs, and long cord, these clippers have the best build quality and come with everything you need to get started out of the box.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: From Wahl Professional’s commercial grade line of products, the 5-Star Balding Clipper is intended for professional use only and is designed to deliver the sharp performance that experts demand.
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: This corded clipper is a barbershop must-have. With a powerful electromagnetic motor that cuts twice the speed of pivot motors, it offers barbers and stylists a surgically-close cut, making it perfect for quick, precise, and effortless skin and bald fades.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: For your convenience, the 5-Star Balding Clipper comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes the clipper, (2) attachment combs, oil, cleaning brush, instructions, and red blade guard.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: The 5-Star Balding Clipper (#8110) measures 6.25” long and weighs 1 lb. This product features an 8-foot, professional grade, chemical resistant cord and features a #2105 blade, V5000+ electromagnetic motor, and operates at 120 volts/60 hertz. For sale in the USA only.
- PLEASE NOTE: Wahl Professional Products purchased from this authorized dealer feature a manufacturer’s warranty, which is not available from unauthorized dealers. Intended for sale and use in the US only.
If this is your first time using clippers to shave your head, the Wahl Professional Clippers have an electromagnetic motor that cuts at double the speed of other pivot motors, which can be difficult to control at first. However, with just a couple of minutes of practice, you should be able to get the hang of these clippers quickly.
Where to Buy
2. Oster Classic 76 Hair And Balding Clipper
You’ve probably seen this balding clipper hanging off of your barber’s station before. The Oster Classic 76 Hair and Balding Clipper has a powerful, single spend motor for everyday use.
Everything comes right out of the box setup and ready for immediate use, including clipper grease and lubricating oil. This clipper will last you an extremely long time, especially since it’s made for heavy duty use.
- Powerful, single speed universal motor for heavy-duty use
- Detachable blades - sizes 000 and 1
- Includes blade guard, lubricating oil, clipper grease and cleaning brush
- Ultra-durable, break-resistant housing
- 9 foot power cord; Designed with ultra-durable, break-resistant housing
With a 9-foot long power cord, break-resistant housing, and great cutting power, you’ll get the closest, smoothest shaves with this clipper. It works with wet or dry hair, and the blades are detachable for easy maintenance. It also comes with blade guards and a cleaning brush.
Where to Buy
3. Wahl Super Taper II Hair And Balding Clipper
The Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper is a V6000 electromagnetic balding clipper with all kinds of accessories included in the box.
We found this shave to be super easy and comfortable, and it’s not as expensive as you might think for the quality and design. It’s just an all-around amazing clipper that professionals typically use.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: Featuring our 1006 blade which is specifically designed for smooth, quick, and precise performance on thicker hair types such as multicultural hair
- HEAVY DUTY AND FUNCTIONAL: Super Taper II features our V5000 Electromagnetic motor that runs faster than a standard clipper, making this tool excellent for cutting, tapering, fading, and blending
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: The clipper, 8 attachment guides (1/8”, ¼”, 3/8”, ½”, 5/8”, ¾”, 7/8”, and 1”), styling comb, cleaning brush, clipper blade oil, red blade guard and operating instructions
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: 6.25” long and weighs 1lb; includes an 8 foot professional grade chemical resistant power cord and a convenient variable thumb taper lever for adjusting the taper and texture
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to continuous improvement, the product appearance may vary from the product images on this listing. Products purchased from this authorized dealer feature a manufacturer’s warranty
With 8 different guide combs, clipper blade oil, red blade guard, and warranty, this balding clipper may be the best buy for the price.
We love that it’s effortless and lightweight, so you can quickly get through your shaving routine and out the door.
Where to Buy
4. Andis 01557 Professional Adjustable Clipper
If you’re in need of a tool that gets a super close clean shave but also allows for fading, try the Andis 01557 Professional Master Adjustable Blade Hair Clipper.
You can adjust the blades from fine to coarse, clean or buzz cut, size 000 to size 1. It also has a thumb-control switch, which makes it pretty convenient.
- Perfect for all-around cutting and tapering
- Powerful, magnetic motor generates 14,000 cutting strokes per minute
- Blade is adjustable from fine to coarse size 000 to size 1 and can be zero-gapped
- Convenient thumb-controlled side switch for one-hand on/off operation
- Unbreakable, lightweight aluminum housing for years of dependable styling
Andis is one of the leading brands for hair clippers, and it’s because of the tight, smooth shave that makes this product so highly rated. You’ll love how easy it is to adjust and move around your head.
With little noise and a sturdy build, you can use Andis Professional Master Adjustable clippers at home to get that professional shaved look.
Where to Buy
5. Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit
The Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit comes with a handheld palm clipper that you can use to reach the back of your head easily.
It reaches all the way to the front, as well as down the neck and along the jawline. That’s because this is one of the best clippers for an all over clean face and shave.
- Fits in the palm of your hand so you can easily reach the back of your head, neckline and around your ears Precision ground, stainless steel blades easily cut through even the thickest hair, reducing pulling and snagging
- 9 Length Combs Cuts 1/16 5/8 inches(1 5 to 15 millimeter) to achieve the exact look you desire
- Lithium, Rechargeable Battery 40 minutes of cordless runtime The Shortcut Pro Hair Clipper can also be used corded for maximum versatility and convenience
- 13 Piece Kit Includes Hand held clipper, 9 Length adjusting combs, cleaning brush, storage/travel pouch, oil (charging adaptor also included)
- Extra wide Curved Blade The blade contours to your head with maximum coverage to provide a close, even cut Shortcut Pro Hair Clipper is 100 percent Washable Conveniently rinses clean under the faucet; Non slip grip
With its high-powered motor, 13-piece kit, and 9 length adjustable guard combs, the Remington HC4250 is made for discerning men who like to keep their head super clean with little fuss.
It’s handy for home use and also comes with a travel pouch. For a compact tool, the shave quality is excellent for everyday use.
Where to Buy
6. Andis Fade Master Hair Clippers
We read in our research leading up to what clippers to buy that customers preferring “extremely close cuts” should get the Andis Fade Master Hair Clippers. So, we had to give them a shot to see the difference.
These clippers are best for extra-close cutting, as well as fades for your beard or back of the neck due to an adjustable blade that goes from 00000 to 000. The blade can also be zero-gapped for tight, close shaves and fades.
- Best for extra-close cutting, fading and tapering; Material - Carbon steel
- Powerful magnetic motor generates 14,000 cutting strokes per minute
- Blade is adjustable from 00000 to 000 and can be zero-gapped - perfect for fades. Polymer body material
- Convenient thumb-controlled side switch for one-hand on/off operations
- Unbreakable, lightweight aluminum housing for years of dependable styling
If you’re looking for that perfect close-cutting clipper, the Andis Fade Master is a great option because it’s extremely simple and does exactly what it claims. The clippers are extremely durable, but it’s the super sharp blades that will make you happily rub your head only to find incredibly smooth skin.
We were super happy with these clippers and think they may be the best option if you have a slightly higher budget and want to do some fades as well as close head shaves.
Where to Buy
No products found.
Final Thoughts: Which are the Best Balding Clippers?
Out of all the brands and models we tried, we really found these 6 to be the best balding clippers on the market because of their quality, build, cutting power, and multiple accessories. However, we recognize some best balding clippers may still not have what you need for the perfect bald shave, especially if over your budget.
If you’re looking for a moderately priced professional bald clipper, we would go with the Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper. However, if you have the budget for an excellent clipper, we think the Andis Fade Master is the real winner out of all the models we tested.