The best beard butter is a perfect styling product for the look of refined facial hair, and it adds a magnificent shine to thick beards. If you’re an avid groomer, then you should use beard butter at least once a week for that polished bearded look.
Unlike beard oils, beard balms, and waxes, beard butter is generally made from shea butter or cocoa butter with added essential oils for scent and shine. I’ve tested some of the best beard butter products to see which ones offered exceptional results and more shine than others.
Table of Contents
6 Top Beard Butters For Styling Your Beard
When looking at butters, I chose beard products recommended to me by barbers, as well as those with the highest customer ratings. I wanted to find the best beard conditioning butters that would help with your beard and the skin.
The primary goal for my test was to see which beard care products tamed and shined my beard hair, but I also considered which products had a great scent or possibly felt too “goopy” due too much oil or shea butter.
Here are the reviews of the top beard butter products right now:
I’m a fan of sandalwood beard grooming products, and Live Bearded The Legend with Sandalwood and Vanilla has one of the best scents in the game. While light, it’s just a very masculine, rustic fragrance that sets off the end of your morning routine so you’re ready to head out of the door.
The real beauty of this beard butter is the additional conditioning that goes into this formula. You’ll feel your beard lay flatter and see it shine up in a matter of seconds. If you have a dried beard, this product will soften your facial hair until it glows if you use enough product.
- Achieve beard perfection with Legend: Transform your beard from good to great with this timeless sandalwood and vanilla scent worn by all the Greats.
- Moisturize, style and condition: Our custom light/medium hold formula locks in deep moisture, controls flyaway hairs, and keeps your beard styled without weighing it down or feeling greasy.
- All-natural ingredients: Optimal beard growth requires real ingredients that not only moisturize, but are also genuinely good for your skin and beard hair.
- Complete your beard growth kit: Combine our Beard Butter with our Beard Wash, Beard Oil, Boar’s Hair Beard Brush, and other products so you can grow to your full potential.
- Your satisfaction is our priority: No questions asked! We stand behind every product we sell with a lifetime guarantee. If you’re not fully satisfied, let us know and we’ll exchange or refund your purchase.
The Legend is a premium beard butter that’s made in the USA. Unlike some of the other beard butters, this one had a slight styling hold to it, indicating that it’s thicker than a balm but not as dry as a wax. You’ll definitely like how it tames your facial hair for the perfect look.Shop Now $19.99
One product that people are raving about is the Grave Before Shave Cigar Blend Beard Butter. This is another moisturizing and conditioning product that uses shea butter and natural oils to add a little fragrance.
The cigar/vanilla scent can be a little strong, but I enjoyed the pure shea butter blend that doesn’t include any beeswax. There’s no drag on your hair when you brush through, so it’s easy to spread this product and keep your beard hair tamed.
- - Deeply softens Beard and skin
- - Using only the best butters and oils available
- - NO beeswax providing less drag when brushing to keep hair pulling and damage minimized
- - Pleasant Cigar/Vanilla scent
- - Large 4 oz. container
Grave Before Shave’s beard butter has an awesome formula. It’s also a much larger container than others with 4 ounces of product. If you like very smoky, masculine scents, this beard butter is for you.Shop Now $22.99
Wild Willie’s Beard Butter has grown so popular that it’s hard to track down, but I was able to get my hands on a 2-ounce tin of this stuff. I have to say it’s one of the top beard butters and has such an amazing scent that you’ll probably want to use it every day.
There are 13 organic ingredients included with this butter product, including shea butter and argan oil. It’s very moisturizing while also providing some wax content for additional shaping and styling needs.
- The Perfect Ally for a Bearded Lifestyle: Wild Willies Beard Butter is formulated to fight split ends and unruly hair, reduce irritation, dandruff, itchiness, and flaky skin, and moisturize and soften your beard. This premium beard balm will have your facial hair looking better than ever, and your healthy new follicles will thank you. 2-oz tin.
- Natural Ingredients: Many beard products on the market include harsh chemicals that not only don’t work but can damage your facial hair and skin. Rest assured that our beard butter contains a blend of completely natural ingredients. It’s free of chemicals, preservatives, and colorants, and proudly made in the USA.
- Say Goodbye to a Coarse, Itchy Beard: Our beard styling balm will not only get rid of your beard’s coarse texture, it'll fight split ends and unruly hair. You’ll simultaneously reduce irritation, dandruff, itchiness, and flaky skin in the process. Talk about a win-win!
- Moisturizes Hair: Our beard butter keeps your hair conditioned, smooth, and soft, while also giving it slight hold. It helps keep follicles moist, promoting growth from the inside out. Use it frequently and see your beard strengthen and your hair growth boost.
- Live Free. Stay Wild: We know the men who buy our beard care products aren’t just passionate about how they look. They’re passionate about what they do, and who they are. You’re passionate about living free and staying wild. Wild Willies is passionate about making sure men can achieve their beard goals and level up their personal hygiene game. Our mission is to help you look and feel your best because when you live your best life, we do too.
I really liked Wild Willie’s Beard Butter because it tames flyaways and adds a light hold to a healthy beard. Not only did my beard feel soft and smooth after the first application, the argan oil can really help with skin irritation and beard itch. The finishing shine is just perfect if you have a wild beard that needs to be tamed.Shop Now $9.77
The Cremo Beard & Scruff Cream is not marketed as a butter, but has the same consistency. I personally like their line of products because they help moisturize and soothe my coarse facial hair, reducing beard itch.
It uses cocoa seed butter instead of shea butter and is really good for a light style on my short beard.
- New, improved Mint Blend Scent.
- Plant-based formula moisturizes and softens stubble, scruff and beards
- Styles and shapes longer beards
- Best for stubble, scruff and fuller beards
- Lightweight and non-greasy
Cremo Beard & Scruff Cream was definitely made for men who want a fresh minty scent. It does come in a forest blend if you like rustic, cedar scent. I’ve all their scents subtle so you won’t be overpowering if you use too much. Still, the texture and results are always amazing on my beard. It also gave my facial hair a light natural shine.Shop Now $6.99
For a very simple conditioner beard butter, Detroit Grooming Co. Leland Butter offers a different scent altogether. Their mango-lime ingredients mix with shea butter for a light, tangy scent that will invigorate you at the end of your morning routine.
This beard butter hits a little different. It felt a little tingly after application, but I liked the shine and smoothness that it brought to my beard after a couple applications.
- Mango-Lime scent
- Conditions the skin
- Conditions your beard
Detroit Grooming Co. makes all of their beard butters with natural, organic ingredients. While they state4 that these products are made to promote “growth and health,” it’s a standard beard butter that simply moisturizes and adds some shine. However, not everyone will like this scent as it gets overwhelming after a few applications.Shop Now Price not available
The one thing you really want in a beard butter is moisture and a pleasant scent. However, Beard Guyz Beard Butter with their updated formula a step further to moisturize dry beards.
Their previous formula was slammed by consumers! So, I really like that the Beard Guyz listened to their customers and created a new product with all natural ingredients.
- LEAVE IN NATURAL CONDITIONER WITHOUT THE GREASY LOOK— Transforms a dry, unruly beard while relieving itchiness. Our exclusive formula includes Shea and Mango butters and Coconut Oil. Applies evenly, absorbs naturally, and softens the beard for a natural look
- GREAT FOR DRY & ITCHY SKIN—Our customers have told us that after trying many different beard butters, ours was the best because it kept the flakes to a minimum and left their beards soft and shiny without a greasy feeling
- THE PERFECT LIGHTWEIGHT TEXTURE AND CONSISTENCY FOR YOUR BEARD—Our Beard Butter keeps your beard conditioned, balanced, and soft. It can be easily spread throughout the beard with no problem
- BEARD BUTTER - UPDATED FORMULATION—We listened to our customers and based on your input, we updated our Beard Butter to match the Original Formula
- OUR GUARANTEE TO YOU—If you are not 100% satisfied with this product, we will cheerfully refund your purchase price, no questions asked. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer care available. Contact us anytime through Amazon for assistance
It’s not my top pick, but it does moisturize your skin and provide a barrier against irritation well. You’ll like this beard butter if you have dry skin frequently or want a leave-in product that can help you shape your beard hair.Shop Now $6.29
What Is Beard Butter?
Beard butter is a men’s styling product made with shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, and essential oils. Men use beard butter on their beards to moisturize hair and skin while adding shine to facial hair.
For men who have wiry beard hair, beard butter is a great facial hair tamer. Using this product 2 to 3 times a week can lead to healthier looking hair and may also help with dry skin under your beard.
Beard butters typically include some essential oils in addition to shea butter, such as coconut oil, peppermint oil, and jojoba oil.
How to Use
Beard butter typically comes in a tin or small tub. You can apply using your fingers to scoop out a small amount. With medium to large beards, you may want to go over your hair twice or use a beard brush to spread the butter throughout your facial hair.
- Deep conditions facial hair
- Moisturizes skin
- Softens hair
- Adds light scent
- Natural ingredients
Shelf Life / Expiration
It’s hard to say what the expiration is with each product, as it’s dependent on ingredients. However, one estimation is that beard butters last between six months and up to four years. However, shea butter’s shelf life is around two years.
To be on the safe side, you should switch out any skin care or styling products after one year, as these ingredients will naturally lose their strength over time.
Does beard butter help beard growth?
In general, beard butters are not made for beard growth. Instead, these are made to treat beard hair, softening coarse facial hair so that it lays flatter. You’ll use beard butter to tame your hair, but there are some healing properties due to the shea butter and oils. These can help with beard dandruff and beard itch, which may be causing you hair loss issues.
However, some products do contain additional ingredients, such as Beard Guyz Beard Butter with Grotein. There aren’t any studies on whether this actually helps with beard growth, but some customers reported thicker beards after using this product.
What is better beard oil or beard butter?
This really depends on your facial hair needs. Since beard oil and beard butter have similarities, it comes down to skin care and texture. Beard oils absorb more into hair and skin, resulting in longer-lasting effects. However, beard butter can add more shine and tame thicker beard hair.
One thing to keep in mind is your skin type. Oilier skin types shouldn’t use beard butter on their skin as it can lead to more pimples around your beard.
How often should you use beard butter?
If you are just starting to grow your beard, you can keep your beard healthier by applying once in the morning and at night every day. However, if you notice skin irritation, you may want to dial back your usage to just one time per day or even 2 to 3 times per week.