Are you always turning to your beard trimmer to groom and tidy up your facial hair? You don’t have to use your trimmer every time if you own a pair of quality beard scissors. These help you cut and blend your beard like a professional barber.
The best beard scissors have precision blades made of stainless steel and balanced tension for a professional cutting experience. Quality mustache and beard scissors used by top barbers will offer comfortable grip handles with wide finger holes for precise control.
We’ve reviewed the top beard scissors and compared features to find the best pair on the market. Below, we’ve created a short buying guide and reviewed the best beard scissors used by professional barbers.
First, here’s a look at what features we looked for and how we graded these scissors:
Beard Scissors Buying Guide
There are a few things to note about the perfect pair of barber scissors and the additional features that make one pair better than the other.
Before purchasing your scissors, learn about the notable features or skip down to the beard scissor reviews below.
There’s typically one length to look for in a proper pair of beard shears. However, longer blades may work better for long beards or yeard beards.
Today’s beard scissors have an optimal blade length of 4.5 inches with longer blades starting at 5.5 inches. However, shorter blades aren’t a bad option if you simply want to fine-tune your beard or trim up your mustache.
Scissor Steel Quality
The highest quality mustache and beard scissors use stainless steel construction. There are typically two steel types, including German and Japanese steel. Each option offers some benefits depending on what you’re looking for.
Japanese Steel vs German Steel
When looking at multiple beard scissors, you may notice specifications for the type of steel: German or Japanese steel. While both are considered high-quality, one blade may dull faster than the other. Here’s a look at each type:
Japanese steel is considered the highest quality by some. These blades have curved cutting edges, and it’s considered softer than German steel.
However, that doesn’t mean it’s not hard or sharp enough, quite the opposite. It simply means it can dull faster than German steel, which means you’ll need to sharpen it more.
With its beveled cutting edge, the German scissor blade has a firmer grip that cuts mustache and beard hair swiftly. While it doesn’t dull as fast as Japanese steel, German blades mean the scissors may start to pull at your stubble and hair when it dulls.
Sharper blades work best for cutting beards and maintaining your neckline.
Most scissors measure from 6 inches to 8 inches long. It’s easier to maneuver shorter scissors, as 7 inches really isn’t practical for trimming facial hair.
It’s also acceptable to choose a smaller pair of travel scissors of 4 to 5 inches long. These are perfect for business trips and make it easy to get a little trim up for special occasions on the go.
Left-Handed or Right-Handed
Some beard scissors can do both! While many scissors work only for righties, there are brands that make scissors for lefties as well.
Handles and Grip
Grips on scissors are important for staying comfortable while trimming and even making it easier to get precise cuts. However, the grips have to be large enough to fit your fingers, too.
Some scissors also have finger rests, which are the bars on the bottom part of the scissor ring that may be removed for more room.
Tension Adjustment Screws
All professional scissors and shears have a circular screw that holds the blades together. This screw lets you change the tension in your blades, closing the gap between the blades incrementally.
One thing that tension doesn’t affect is the sharpness of your blades.
While steel is resistant to rust, not every part of your scissors may be made of steel. If you get your scissors wet and don’t dry them off quickly or leave them in water, it could lead to rust spots.
So the best way to keep your scissors in good health is to clean with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth after each use. You should also place them in a travel case in a dry place to ensure that moisture doesn’t ruin them.
Electric trimmers and scissors are essential for beard grooming. Buying the perfect grooming kit for your beard starts with the right pair of beard trimming scissors.
Many beard grooming kits include a pair of scissors, combs, and beard oil.
Beard care takes some commitment, but the result is perfectly trim and healthy facial hair. There are many advantages to owning a pair of steel barber shears versus a regular pair of hair trimming scissors.
By properly grooming and trimming your facial hair, you can shape your beard styles perfectly.
Top 7 Beard & Mustache Scissors for Precision Cuts
Want to keep your beard and mustache looking great? These scissors have the best blades and handles, making it easy to trim away beard hair in a few seconds.
1. Lucky Franc’s Japanese Scissors
We tested out the Beard & Mustache Grooming Set from Lucky Franc’s, which includes a pair of Japanese steel beard scissors and a real handmade horn pocket comb. It’s the perfect grooming kit for a precision cut.
- PERFECT MUSTACHE GROOMING SET: This two-piece beard grooming kit for men includes a pair of Japanese Stainless Steel scissors and a handmade real horn pocket comb; all the items you need to trim and groom your mustache
- PRECISION MOUSTACHE SCISSORS: Made from Japanese stainless steel, these moustache scissors are about 6.25 inches long with a 2.5-inch blade; powder coated in black for a durable finish and comes with a tension knob to adjust tightness
- HANDMADE HORN POCKET COMB: This beard grooming kit for men comes with a handmade Ox Bull pocket comb; each comb is made with real horn and is about 3 inches in length, enhanced to help prevent static while grooming your beard
- STYLISH CLASSY PACKAGING: This men's mustache grooming kit which features professional mustache scissors and handmade grooming comb comes in a black-on-black Lucky Franc's gift box, giving it a stylish, classy, and sophisticated look
- IDEAL GIFT IDEA FOR MEN: This gift set includes all you need to groom and maintain your beard or mustache, these mustache grooming kits make for the ideal gift; perfect for any occasion, these can be gifted to any special man in your life
The scissors are 6.25 inches long with a 2.5-inch blade. Powder-coated in matte black, these are extremely professional and sharp barber shears that work well for beard and mustache trimming.
Where to Buy
2. Tweezerman G.E.A.R. Beard Scissors
The Tweezerman G.E.A.R. has a curved blade that works well for trimming your beard, mustache, and nose hair. They’re extremely affordable and durable, as they’re made from stainless steel.
- Item Condition: 100% authentic, new and unused. Tweezerman G.E.A.R. Facial Hair Scissors Model No. 29021-MG.
- Tweezerman G.E.A.R. Facial Hair Scissors Model No. 29021-MG: Buy Tweezerman Razors, Shavers Grooming Tools - Trim strays and neaten facial hair with precision. Rounded blade tip curves away from skin for safely cutting facial, nose and ear hairs. Cut visible hair only. Disinfect between uses.Details provided by Tweezerman.
These scissors have larger finger loops, making them a great fit for men’s hands. The sharp blade has a rounded tip so that you never have to worry about cutting yourself again.
Where to Buy
3. Beardoholic Beard Scissors
Known as the finest 6″ Japaneses stainless steel scissors, Beardoholic’s beard and mustache scissors are incredibly sleek with a curved edge blade that always cuts hair without snagging, pulling, or tugging.
- EXTREMELY SHARP AND PRECISE BLADES: Curved edge trims all stray hairs smoothly and evenly with just one cut without pulling, tugging or damaging your beard in the process. Achieve a clean and effortless, surgically accurate cut every time and eliminate only split ends and stray hairs without sacrificing the length of your beard with these razor-sharp hair cutting scissors.
- ADJUSTABLE TENSION SCREW: Adapt the tension and tightness for quick and noiseless blade opening and cutting. The adjustment screw makes it easy to fine-tune the pressure of the thinning shears by simply rotating the circular knob at the place where the blades are held together. Loosen up or tighten the screw depending on how close you want the blades to be, especially when trimming those hard to reach places.
- WIDE FINGER HOLES AND COMFORTABLE GRIP HANDLE: Made with round handles and large holes for fingers, these professional hair scissors for men are wide enough to fit most men’s hands. Even if your fingers are very bulky, they will still fit in easily and your hand will remain steady. Shape, cut and trim your beard without any discomfort thanks to the extra ergonomic grip of thinning scissors for hair that provide utmost control, prevent all trimming mistakes and don’t squeeze your fingers.
- CONVENIENT FINGER REST: Keep your hand completely steady while you’re trimming your mustache, sideburns and hard-to-access areas faster and with more accuracy than with any other thinning scissors for hair. Extremely versatile to use as professional hair scissors for barbers, but also as hair scissors for men who want their beard cut with incredible precision safely and easily.
- FINEST JAPANESE STAINLESS STEEL: Remarkably durable, sharp hair cutting scissors will last you for many years. The stainless steel texture is smooth and it will never rust or get stained even after you use them for an extended period of time. Hairs never get caught in between the blades unlike with other men’s hair scissors on the market.
It’s effortless to trim away beard away with these adjustable scissors that have a professional tension screw design. However, the true beauty of these scissors is that they’re made from highly durable and sharp Japanese stainless steel.
Where to Buy
4. Sanguine Beard Scissors
Professional mustache and beard scissors from Sanguine have precision-sharpened Japanese steel blades that will cleanly cut away your beard hair. These scissors are on the smaller side at 5 inches long, but they’re perfect for short beards, goatees, mustaches, and jawline trimming.
- Professional deep black 5 inch scissors, come in a presentation box/case
- Extremely sharp blades for clean cut, will not damage or split hair ends
- Hand crafted, made from Japanese steel J2
- Round, smooth tension screw system gives a greater required tuning
- Remove-able finger rest
It also comes with a removable finger rest and round, smooth tension screws, and travel case. You can tune these scissors to the exact blade height for a faster cutting experience.
Where to Buy
5. Suvorna Beard Scissors
For precise cutting, Suvorna beard scissors are an excellent choice. While a little expensive, these scissors are beautiful to look at and easy to use. Made from Japanese J2 420 steel, these are handcrafted shears with a Rockwell hardness rating of 54.
- PRECISION CUTTING: Convex razor edge and hollow ground blades which allow precise cutting without pushing or bending hair. Ergonomic design with removable finger rest. Extremely sharp razor edge blades have a convex edge that eliminate hair bending and pushing. The blades are also hollow ground, which increases cutting efficiency and facilitates precision cuts.
- HIGH GRADE STAINLESS STEEL: These scissors are drop forged from a single piece of the finest quality high carbon stainless steel. Each pair is polished to a highly reflective smooth surface that resists moisture and is fine tuned to ensure best performance.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We take pride in our craftsmanship and product quality. Each pair of scissors undergoes our strenuous Quality Assurance tests. This gives us the confidence to offer a lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects. Our 90 days free return offer gives you peace of mind, try them yourself and if they do not meet your expectations, we are happy to exchange or refund, no question asked!
- RELATED: high carbon steel scissors, convex edge scissors, razor edge scissors, salon scissors, barber scissors, bangs, curls, split hairs, hairs, scissors belt, accessory, shears, hair growth, light hair, heavy hair, thick hair, coarse hair, curly hair, frizzy hair, haircut, hairdressing, hair cutting, hairdressing, hair grooming scissors, haircare, hair styling accessories, professional scissors, grooming scissors, beard scissors, scissors n comb, straightening, haircut, branded scissors
In addition, Suvorna offers a 60-day free return policy, and you get a lifetime warranty in case of any malfunctions or broken parts. You don’t have to worry about having to buy another pair in 30 days.
Where to Buy
6. Equinox Beard Scissors
Looking for a slightly larger pair of beard scissors? Equinox designed a superior 6.5-inch scissors with Japanese stainless steel blades. These are specialty shears with hand-sharpened razor edges.
- [PATENTED DESIGN] Our raving reviews speak for themselves. Customers LOVE our haircutting shears. PREMIUM - This specialized high quality Japanese stainless steel Hair Cutting scissor is tempered with precise blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges to evenly trim hair with ease.
- ERGONOMIC - Manufactured in China with imported materials, our Equinox Professional Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissor is great for salon workers, barbers, and personal usage as well. Cutting hair without razor edged scissors leads to split ends and fraying.
- VERSATILE - With a length of 6.5 inches, the Professional Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissor is safe and easy to use on men, women, the elderly, children, and babies. Its distinctive easy grip handle design allows the scissor to cradle fingers, delivering a confident haircut every time! With a sleek stainless steel texture, our scissor reduces messy hair clutters as no hair gets caught in between its blades, unlike other hair cutting scissors on the market.
- CONVENIENCE - At a weight of only 4.8 ounces anybody can handle this pair of shears with ease. Equipped with an adjustment screw, you can effortlessly fine-tune this scissor to your desire of tension.
- NOTE - All Razor Edge Series Professional Shears come vacuum-packed in plastic casing and are coated with lubricating oil. Before first use, wash with gentle soap and lukewarm water then dry with soft cloth.
Lightweight at 4.8 ounces with larger finger holes, these scissors are made for any barber or hairstylist. You don’t have to use these scissors just for beards either. Equinox scissors are made for professionals and will work for all hair-cutting.
Where to Buy
7. Beardclass Beard Scissors Kit
For the most affordable grooming kit, turn to Beardclass, which makes a 3-in-1 grooming kit with scissors, small comb, and leather pouch for less than $15. The stainless steel scissors have large finger holes, providing for more ergonomic cutting control.
- BEST MEN'S FACIAL HAIR GROOMING TOOLS KIT – Each trimming set comes with a pair of long, razor-sharp shears trimmers; a pair of short nose scissors with rounded safety tip, and a portable mustache comb.
- ERGONOMIC TRIMMING CONTROL – Made for right or left-handed use, our beard trimming scissors make it easier to groom, trim, cut, and style facial hair safely.
- PRECISION STAINLESS STEEL ACCURACY – Beardclass trimmers are made from rust and corrosion-resistant carbon steel to give you sharper blades and cleaner trimming.
- MULTI-PURPOSE FACIAL HAIR USE – This quality men’s grooming set can be used to trim your beard, mustache, eyebrows, nose hairs, or personal areas with safe reliability.
- INCLUDES MUSTACHE COMB AND CARRY POUCH – Each set of nose and beard grooming scissors also includes a long-tooth mustache comb and convenient travel portable storage pouch!
As professional scissors, they’re designed for right-handed or left-handed users, and it has a rounded safety tip. This set makes for the perfect beginner’s grooming kit or men’s gift.