Is it time to trim your beard? With beards growing in popularity, many men are picking up the beard trimmer and styling their beard at home. While growing out your facial hair can lead to a thicker, fuller beard, the best beard trimmer makes it easy to create distinct lines and edges to define your look.
The best beard trimmers come with multiple guards and even a nose trimmer to make quick work of your facial hair.
We review the top men’s beard trimmers on the market and include a complete buyer’s guide to what features are most important.
Table of Contents
- Beard Trimmer Buyers Guide
- 1. Philips Norelco MG7750/49 Multigroom Series 7000
- 2. Wahl Professional Cordless Clippers
- 3. Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Trimmer – Lithium Ion T-blade
- 4. Oster Classic 76 Universal Clipper
- 5. Philips Norelco OneBlade – Hybrid Electric Trimmer and Shaver
Beard Trimmer Buyers Guide
With the latest technological advancements, it’s easier than ever to quickly and cleanly get the lines and edges you want for your beard shape. However, which beard clippers really cut hair best and provide the most value for your money? Let’s explore the most important features to consider before buying.
We go over the best features to look for and how to find a high-quality for less in the guide below.
The technical design of a beard trimmer says everything about the quality. For example, many new trimmers come with vacuum features, removing the hairy mess of shaving as you shave.
However, brands like Philips Norelco that have this feature also use plastic parts and guides, which doesn’t make them the highest quality in terms of design. These can break more easily than a trimmer with metal parts.
There are a number of different trimmers on the market with carbon steel blades. These are the sharpest blades on the market currently, but these also tend to rust and wear out faster than your typical stainless steel blade.
Sharp stainless steel blades hold up well against moisture and daily use. These blades also work best for cutting thick hair.
If going for the premium option, look for titanium-coated carbon blades. These trimmers have the highest-quality blades.
You also want to buy electric razors with several different guards and even nose hair trimming attachments. Most of today’s trimmers come with a little kit that includes several guards in lengths starting at 0.5mm and going up to a 4. This makes it easy to shave away stray hairs and fade your beard.
Cordless vs. Corded
Corded beard trimmers may feel more powerful than a cordless trimmer, but the latest models have stronger batteries with longer lifespans. You can go longer in between charges using cordless clippers and many have a 1 hour charge.
Cordless clippers are also more convenient when maneuvering around the bathroom for a quick shave before work. While corded clippers are the most powerful for longer beards, cordless trimmers do just fine for most short to medium beards.
Ease of Use and Portability
You should easily be able to unlock, set your precision trimmer guards, and start shaving with any trimmer. If it’s not easy to use or the dials aren’t clear, it’s going to take more time to get the perfect shave.
The best beard trimmers will always make it easier to use. For example, vacuum trimmers will make it a breeze to get a close shave and head out the door. Travel trimmers typically have cordless designs and lightweight bodies, making it effortless to shave while in the bathroom at the airport before a big meeting.
Plastic parts aside, high-quality beard trimmers don’t have to cost over $100. However, those with metal parts and guides tend to be a little more expensive than a value trimmer with plastic components.
The more expensive trimmers will come with more settings, built-in vacuum, and laser guides. These make it easier to get the picture-perfect beard, but you may end up paying $50 to $100 more for these features.
Which Beard Trimmer is Best For You?
We always think about price and features. The top beard trimmers always have a cordless design with easy-to-use features and lithium ion battery designs, but it’s also helpful when they have laser guides and vacuum trimming features. Others come with kits and accessories like a beard comb or guards for different beard lengths.
If you’re just looking for a trimmer with high-quality blades, the Philips Norelco or Wahl beard trimmers work perfectly and won’t break the piggy bank on cost.
We tested the top beard trimmers on the market for edging, lining, and keeping your neckline clean. Final product selections were based on barber’s recommendations, features, price, and customer satisfaction.
1. Philips Norelco MG7750/49 Multigroom Series 7000
When looking at the top beard trimmers, Philips Norelco trimmers are always in the running. Besides its popularity, the Norelco 7000 series is the best choice out of all the options for features and value.
- The all in 1 trimmer for your choice of beard, head, body, and/or face hair styling with 23 pieces for all your trimming needs
- The DualCut technology offers maximum precision and includes 2x more self sharpening blades that last up to 5 years
- To deliver maximum torque and power, the all in 1 trimmer includes a full metal motor and a drive train that's been reinforced with tempered steel
- Our unique cutting guards are reinforced with ultra strong fiberglass material to prevent bending and buckling, ensuring an even trim every time
- Lithium ion rechargeable battery delivers up to 5 hours of run time per charge
Many people like the Philips Norelco 7000 because it has 5hrs of runtime, making for a longer time clipping and edging. The Norelco also has easy-to-use power trimming features, plus 2 x self sharpening blades that never need oiling.
Where to Buy
2. Wahl Professional Cordless Clippers
Barbers love the Wahl Professional Cordless Clipper because it’s so easy to use and gets the job done with little fuss. We wanted to try it just because of the glowing recommendations. After our test, it’s definitely the beard trimmer that gives you the most bang for your buck.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: Cordless Designer Clipper is designed to deliver the performance that experts demand featuring a 1005 blade designed for smooth, quick, and precise hair clipping and trimming.
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: The Cordless Designer Clipper features an ergonomic design, and is cordless for maximum mobility; It's powerful and ergonomic so it fits comfortably in the hand.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: The clipper, 8 attachment comb cutting guides (1/16", 1/8", 1/4", 3/16", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1"), cleaning brush, clipper blade oil, red blade guard and operating instructions.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: 6.25 long and weighs only 10.2 oz., featuring a Lithium-ion battery, a (#1005) universal 3 hole blade, and charging cord; unit can be used corded or cordless.
Best Overall Trimmer
Lightweight and easy to use, this beard clipper makes it effortless to trim up your beard, create sharp lines, and clean shave around neckline and cheeks. If you want to create the same professional cut like a modern barber, the Wahl Professional is the best one to pick.
Where to Buy
3. Andis 32400 Slimline Pro Trimmer – Lithium Ion T-blade
In between your visits to the barber, the Andis Slimline Pro Li T-Blade is a great option for its ability to move around contours and produce an incredibly clean shave. It also extremely versatile working on a wide range of beard hair types. It’s another cordless beard trimmer with a lighting fast charge time.
- Balanced, ergonomic trimmer for outlining, designing and dry-shaving
- Sleek, lightweight cord/cordless design for greater flexibility
- Powerful rotary motor for increased speed, power and life. (Maximum 6000 strokes per minute)
- Lithium-ion battery delivers up to 2 hours of run time, with a 2 hour 15 minute charge time
- Equipped with close-cutting T-blade (may be zero-gapped); 120 volts ; 50/60 hertz
Best For Clean Shaving
While the Andis is a little bit more expensive than other beard trimmers, it comes with a warranty and produces incredibly clean results. We loved how it cleanly removed facial hair and body hair in one swift shave.
Because of its small profile it works extremely well as a detail trimmer.
Where to Buy
4. Oster Classic 76 Universal Clipper
For a higher-quality shave that’s exactly like the barber experience, the Oster Classic 76 is probably the only beard trimmer you’d ever need. With its precision metal guards, you can get the closest shave or fade your beard and sideburns like a pro.
- Designed with a powerful, single speed universal motor for heavy-duty use, making them the ideal professional clippers for barbers
- Comes with detachable blade size #000 and #1 that easily cuts through wet or dry hair
- Ultra-durable, top-quality housing with ergonomic design perfect for all-day cutting
- Ergonomic design with textured housing provides easy grip
- 9-foot power cord
Best For Heavy Duty Use & Precision Guards
Also, the metal guards give you a cleaner look and improved cutting accuracy or that of plastic guards that most beard clippers include. While it’s a little heavier to use than others, the Oster is an amazing tool to have in your grooming arsenal. It’s a bit on the pricey side for those on a budget.
Where to Buy
5. Philips Norelco OneBlade – Hybrid Electric Trimmer and Shaver
When you can’t carry the whole beard grooming kit with you, a travel beard trimmer can get the job done just as well, especially if it’s the Philips Norelco OneBlade. They made this clipper for quick cuts and clean shaves on the go, and it’s one of the top clippers that barbers use on the go.
- Rechargeable OneBlade can trim, edge, and shave any length of hair.
- Trim it down - click on combs for a fast and even trim in all the right places
- Edge it up - dual-sided blade for precise edging to line up your style easier than ever before
- Shave it off - fast moving cutter to shave long hair, but not too close so your skin stays comfortable
- Replaceable OneBlade lasts up to 4 months. (For best shaving experience. Based on 2 full shaves per week. Actual results may vary.)
Best Hybrid & Travel Beard Trimmer
Small and cordless with long battery life, you can easily slip this into your daily routine or into your gym or travel bag. It’s a combination of a traditional beard clipper with a high-quality razor, and it’s incredibly affordable for a Philips Norelco shaver.