Grooming and beard care routines have become extremely important now that facial hair is trending. Part of this care routine is exfoliating the skin underneath, and to do that, we looked at the best beard exfoliators.
Beard exfoliators and beard scrubs clean away dead skin cells, oil and dirt underneath your facial hair, promoting healthier beard growth. It can also help prevent beard acne, bring ingrown hair to the surface and improve blood circulation for healthy skin.
We reviewed the top beard exfoliating scrubs, picking the best products based on customer satisfaction, ingredients, fragrance (or preferably unscented), and successful skin smoothing results. Find the best product for you below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Understanding exfoliant Scrubs
- 2 1. Brickell Renewing Face Scrub for Men
- 3 2. Jack Black Energizing Face Buff Scrub
- 4 3. Viking Revolution – Microdermabrasion Face Scrub for Men
- 5 4. Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Beard Scrub
- 6 5. Rugged and Dapper Exfoliating Cleanser
- 7 6. Marlowe Facial Hair Exfoliating Scrub
- 8 7. NIVEA Men’s DEEP Cleansing Beard & Face Wash
Understanding exfoliant Scrubs
Experts say you should exfoliate at least once per week, however some exfoliators are made for daily use. We review the top beard scrubs and exfoliators below.
It’s the best thing you can do for your skin to keep it hydrated underneath thick hair growth. Beard exfoliating face scrubs are a bit like facial scrubs, but formulated to leave your face clean and healthy.
Simply work the texture in circular motions underneath your hair to prevent any damage to your hair follicles.
- Check out – How to Exfoliate your Beard. We show how cleansing your skin will prevent ingrown hairs and beard dandruff.
- Exfoliate before or after shaving? Learn the right way.
1. Brickell Renewing Face Scrub for Men
The Brickell Renewing Face Scrub offers a natural and organic formula that completely exfoliates the skin underneath your beard.
- What It Does: This exfoliating men's face scrub sloughs away oil, dead skin, and other face impurities. Restores a clear complexion and leaves the skin soft. Use pre-shave to remove dead skin and lift up whiskers for an ultra-close shave.
- Who It’s For: Men of any age with any type of skin – especially those prone to oily build up, blackheads, or ingrown hairs. Use in a skin care or shave routine.
- How It Works: Our facial scrub for men uses powerful natural scrubbing particles to remove dead skin cells, exfoliate, unclog pores, and break down tough facial hair for an ultra close shave.
- Key Ingredients: Natural & Certified Organic ingredients, including aloe vera, avocado butter, vitamin E, pumice, and jojoba beads. 98% natural, 70% organic.
- Who We Are: Brickell creates skincare and grooming products for men using natural & certified organic ingredients. Our products are sold in over 20 countries and have appeared in GQ, Men's Health, Men's Journal, and other popular men’s magazines.
- Reduces oily build-up
- No parabens or synthetic microbeads
- Lot of product for the cost
- Strong exfoliator
- Uses avocado, jojoba beads and natural pumice for scrubbers
- Expensive, but worth it for the organic formula
It’s one of the most popular beard exfoliators because of its light scent and clean results. You’ll find that it doesn’t stick or add a greasy film to your fingers, and the feeling is so energizing. You can wash it off easily, as it doesn’t cling to your beard hair either.
This creamy beard exfoliator has a thicker consistency that makes it easier to work into your skin and spread it underneath your beard.
Where to Buy
2. Jack Black Energizing Face Buff Scrub
This Jack Black Energizing Scrub is another natural and organic product that steers clear of parabens and synthetic beads. It’s suitable for all skin types, and customers with oily skin say that it works wonders for removing dead skin underneath.
- Regular use of a scrub also helps prevent in-grown hairs by opening congested pores
- Contains Vitamin C and licorice extract for anti-aging benefits
- Premium grade, micro-fine scrubbing grains gently polish skin
- Cooling menthol refreshes skin and provides antibacterial benefits
- Regular exfoliation (gently scrubbing off old skin cells) also improves skin's appearance and radiance by exposing newer, younger cells beneath the surface
- Deep cleaning scrub action
- Great for all skin types
- Energizing scent
- Some customers thought the smell was too strong
While not too abrasive, it leaves your skin feeling extremely smooth, which is exactly what you want.
where to Buy
3. Viking Revolution – Microdermabrasion Face Scrub for Men
A popular brand for men. The Viking Revolution Microdermabrasion Face Scrub is a top pick facial cleanser and exfoliator. This wash is known for its deep cleansing properties to remove blackheads, face spots and ingrown hairs.
- Best Face Wash - Our Men's Face Wash deeply cleanses dirt, eliminates oil and helps moisturize skin.
- Expertly Formulated Skincare For Men - Works with oily, dry, and normal skin types.
- Squeaky-Clean Exfoliating Face Scrub - Exfoliate your skin to avoid acne and balance out dryness.
- Make Your Shave Count - Our face wash helps condition skin against razor irritation for an easier shave.
- The Viking Promise: If for any reason, you’re not completely satisfied, simply contact us and we’ll take care of it.
- Large, easy-to-use bottle
- Instantly buffs away dead skin
- Contains SP Skin Recharging Complex
- Not recommended after shaving
- Peppermint affect is too subtle
I like that I could use it as a daily pre-shave face scrub and felt like a natural first step to the morning routine. After using for a week I didn’t any razor bumps and usually I’ll have 1-2 per week – so that was a huge plus.
I also liked that it was more than a simple face wash and performed like a gentle exfoliator without being too gritty. One of my favs.
where to Buy
4. Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Beard Scrub
We love the Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Beard Exfoliator because it’s made by barbers and includes deep-cleansing charcoal. The price point is also lower than many other beard exfoliants.
- For All Skin Types – Cleans and refreshes dry, oily, combination or acne-prone skin
- Won't Clog Pores – Keeps your skin free from unwanted breakouts
- Non-Irritating Formula – Contains Aloe Vera juice to soothe sensitive and irritated skin
- Hydrates and Moisturizes – Chamomile Floral water prevents moisture loss and helps sensitive skin
- Contains Natural Ingredients – Jojoba and Argan Oil work together to nourish and soothe skin
- Lots of essential oils
- Deep-cleansing charcoal formula
- None, this beard exfoliator gets the best reviews too
Alcohol-free and unscented, you’ll enjoy scrubbing away dry skin under your beard with just a dab of this cleanser. The formula also includes some of the best essential oils for healthy hair growth like jojoba oil and argan oil.
where to Buy
5. Rugged and Dapper Exfoliating Cleanser
The Rugged and Dapper Exfoliator is a daily scrubbing cleanser that’s gentle enough for most skin types. If you’re the type who wants to feel smooth skin every day and needs a powerful cleanser, this exfoliator gets the job done.
- Formulated for Men: Deep cleans, attacks dirt, excess oil and grime to eliminate breakouts and acne, without stripping the skin of moisture.
- Multi-Purpose Benefits: Energizing Face Wash, Toner and Exfoliator that covers all the bases, for a clean and revitalized complexion.
- Highly Effective Formula: Prevents congestion and the advancement of aging. Plant-based exfoliants remove dead skin cells, smooth and prepare the skin for a clean shave.
- Natural & Organic: Nutrient-rich ingredients borrowed from the outdoors release potent vitamins and minerals to regenerate skin. Includes: Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Willow Bark and Burdock Root.
- For All Ages & Most Skin Types: Normal, sensitive, oily, rough, dry, combo and acne-prone complexions.
- Special formula includes natural ingredients like aloe vera
- Best for sensitive skin
- Can be used daily
- Pricier than other cleansers on this list
It’s also one of the best cleansers for sensitive skin. We also found that it was the only cleanser on this list to include aloe vera, which helps with skin smoothing and reducing beard itch.
where to Buy
6. Marlowe Facial Hair Exfoliating Scrub
The Marlowe No. 122 is a facial scrub just for men that you can use daily. It’s a light exfoliator that refreshes skin and adds a delightful sandalwood scent to your beard.
- CLEAN YOUR FACE: Our men's face wash is a cut above the rest; MARLOWE. No. 121 Facial Cleanser is simple & effective
- NO MORE DIRT & OIL: Remove the stress, oil, or grime of the day/night with a powerful formulation of natural cleansing agents
- GENTLE BUT POWERFUL: This facial cleanser is one of our favorites. It washes softly and leaves your face feeling smooth without burning or stinging. No nonsense, just simple cleansing with an understated scent.
- EXCELLENT SCENT: Look forward to washing your face day or night, with a mild & refreshing combination of pine & vanilla.
- EXPERIENCE THE MARLOWE DIFFERENCE: Made with our proprietary MARLOWE. M Blend, a unique formulation of natural extracts like Green Tea, Willow Bark, Passionflower, Deep Sea Algae.
- Gentle, daily exfoliator
- Natural ingredients
- Affordable for the bottle size
- It’s not the strongest formula for thick beards
This is the perfectly woodsy, masculine cleanser that cleans away dead skins and isn’t too rough on your skin. It has a pretty thick consistency and prevents acne with its paraben-free, phthalate-free formula.
where to Buy
7. NIVEA Men’s DEEP Cleansing Beard & Face Wash
A well trusted brand of skin cleanser. NIVEA Men’s DEEP Cleansing Beard & Face Wash thoroughly clean my coarse beard and all the way down to my skin. It’s made with natural charcoal so it removed excess dirt and oils easily for a deep clean and refreshed feeling.
- Specifically formulated for men who want thoroughly cleansed skin, beard and mustaches
- Innovative Natural Charcoal enriched formula removes dirt and excess oil from the face
- Cleanses skin and beard hair to leave a long-lasting clean and refreshed feeling with no dry or tight feeling
- Contains a masculine and modern Vanilla & Bourbon scent that everyone will love
- Comes with three(3) 3.3oz. bottles - Great for stocking up and the perfect size travel bottle
- Formulated for men with beards
- Adds the perfect amount of moisture
- Unclogs pores and buffs out dead skin
- Have to buy a 3-pack
- Manufactured outside the US
One of the best exfoliating faces products I tried. The real benefit is that this scrub was entirely designed for men with thick beards.
It’s reasonably priced for a 3-pack and I’m OK with the vanilla scent – though I would have preferred a more masculine scent. A solid pick!