Thinking of switching your electric shaver out for something new? The best foil shaver often ensures a closer shave, and users saying it works better for sensitive skin. If you haven’t used one before, then it’s best to explore features and style of shaving before purchasing a foil class shaver.
Foil shavers use a micro-foil or perforated metal screen that covers a pair of sharp reciprocating blades and provides more maneuverability over the contours of your face.
We’ll go over all the features in a short buyer’s guide with our top picks for foil shavers.
Foil Shaver History
Although Jacob Schick has been largely credited for inventing the electric razor in 1930, it was Remington who invented the first foil razors in 1937. But they’ve changed over the years to include a higher power and cordless operation for the modern electric foil shaver.
Foil Shaver Buyer’s Guide
The design of the foil shaver has changed over the years, but the basic look and feel hasn’t changed that much. The latest machining technology allows brands to create very thin foils, which makes it easier to shave hair very close to your skin.
Foil shavers use oscillating blades that move sideways at pretty high speeds behind a thin protective screen or foil. Hairs that poke through the screen are then removed. This makes it one of the best electric shavers to purchase for a close shave.
There are typically two micro-foils included with each foil shaver design, but some newer styles have cutting elements that make it easier to capture and trim longer beard hair.
Best Foil Shaver Features
We created a profile of the best foil shaver based on our experience with the right features. These are the top things to look for in an electric foil shaver.
- Multiple cutting elements, at least 2 or more
- Powerful motors with at least 9,000 cuts per minute
- Titanium or gold foils for sensitive skin and close shaves
- Hypoallergenic foils for less razor burn and bumps
- Cordless or corded design with long lithium ion battery life
- Waterproof: Prefer both wet/dry shaver operation for easy shaves and maintenance
- Flexible, pivoting head is a plus
When shopping for these shavers, discerning shoppers should pay attention to the foil quality and design. If it isn’t waterproof, you may cause damage just by using it in the morning at the kitchen sink, so be careful about matching your routine with the right shaver model.
Advantages of Foil Shavers
For many reasons, foil shavers and rotary razors have been compared for their benefits, but foil shavers seem to be the preferred electric shaver for a smooth, close shave.
Rotary razors operate much differently than foil shavers, and many users believe that foil designs offer the closest shave if you want smooth skin.
Whether you have coarse hair or sensitive skin, foil shavers do the best for close shaves, but micro-foil shavers are typically the closest to smooth. You don’t need to use shaving cream unless the shaver allows wet/dry shaving.
Better for Sensitive Skin
Those who frequently get razor burn or bumps, such as ingrown hairs, may like the foil shaver more. The blades are behind a screen, so the foil is what actually touches your skin and glides over your hair, trimming away as close to the foil as it can.
In contrast, rotary shavers with cheaper blades will pull the hair and sometimes even pinch the skin.
Easier to Clean
Rotary shavers require thorough maintenance with every shave almost, and that could involve taking apart the shaving head and individually cleaning each clutter.
However, with foil shavers, you can just remove the one foil and run under hot water to rinse out.
the Best Foil Shavers for Men
1. Remington F5-5800 Men’s Foil Shaver
One of the most popular shavers on the market currently, the Remington F5-5800 Foil Shaver has always been known for its high-quality, close shaves.
This model has thousands of positive ratings and an affordable price, which makes it quite attractive already. It doesn’t have too many frills, but the simplicity of its design actually focuses more on the quality of the shave.
- Pivot and Flex Foil Technology Stays close to skin for smooth results
- Rechargeable battery 60 minutes of cordless runtime
- Pop up Detail Trimmer For finishing touches on your facial hair and sideburns
- Easy to Clean Washable under the faucet; Charging time 2 hours; Voltage: Worldwide
- Close Shaves
- Fits perfectly in hand
- Cordless or Corded
- Rated for dry shaving only but seems okay to clean under water
- not great for flat-lying beard hair
- noisier than other models
The shaving head has a swivel function, and it could move up and down. It’s also easy to use with a cordless or corded design.
The pop-up trimming is perfect for touch-ups and light grooming. It’s also easy to place on the charge station overnight when you want to have the perfect shaving cordless shaving experience in the morning.
Where to Buy
2. Andis 17150 Pro Foil Shaver
We love the convience of the Andis Pro Foil Shaver, which sits in your palm and makes it easy to move the shaver over the countours of your jawline and cheeks. With excellent battery life and excellent versatility, the Andis ProFoil shaver is one of the best for face and head shaving.
Inexpensive with cordless or cord operation, you’ll love the simplicity of this shaver, even though it doesn’t have a flexible head or pop-up trimmer. With a lithium ion battery and titanium foil, you don’t have to press hard to use this shaver to get a smooth, close result.
- Staggered-head shaver blades for a closer shave.
- Lithium-ion battery provides maximum power.
- Ideal for finishing stubble and fade-style haircuts, for added versatility.
- Extremely easy to use
- Affordably priced
- Titanium Nitride foil
- corded or cordless operation
- No wet shaving, dry use only makes it difficult to clean
- no flexible head, but fits in your palm
- best for short hair only, Not for longer beard maintenance
The Andis ProFoil uses titanium nitride, which has anti-corrosive properties. The motor is rated for 9000 strokes per minute, and you’ll get a close shave with this electric shaver.
However, it’s the impressive sturdiness that you’ll like, since there really aren’t any other frills about this shaver.
Where to Buy
3. Panasonic Arc5 Electric Foil Razor
As a high-end model shaver in their lineup, the Panasonic Arc5 Electric Foil Razor is a very versatile shaver with five cutting elements behind the foil.
It’s a favorite of ours because of its wet/dry capabilities, cordless operation, and shave sensor technology. This makes it one of the best shavers next to the Philips Norelco.
The all-metal body and golden comfort rollers make this shave feel absolutely incredible on your skin. You’ll love the smooth shave finish, but it’s also the best shaver for sensitive skin. It capures hair quickly and removes it easily.
- Sharp men’s shaver blades: Panasonic Arc5 men's electric shaver with five ultra-sharp precision honed 30° Nanotech blades and ultra-thin Arc foil follow facial contours for a quick, close and comfortable shave
- Wet/Dry electric shaver and trimmer 2 in 1: Built-in pop up trimmer details mustaches, beards and sideburns; Wet/dry waterproof shaver allows for convenient shaving in or out of the shower
- Multi Flex pivoting head: Panasonic flexible pivoting electric shaver head glides effortlessly to trace the individual contours of face, chin, neck and jaw; Built-in shaving sensor monitors differences in beard density and automatically adjusts...
- High performance motor with a linear drive: This Panasonic shaver is equipped with a linear motor which delivers 14,000 cuts per minute (70,000 crosscutting actions per minute) and maintains peak power up to the end of every battery charge
- LCD battery indicator: The shaver’s 10 stage LCD shows battery status at a glance; Rechargeable, portable and travel friendly
- Smooth close shave
- Fast and easy to use
- Rated for wet/dry use
- Older models were rated better for flat-lying beards
- Noisier than previous model
The Panasonic Arc5 is constantly receiving updates to each design. This has allowed Panasonic to stay on top of the market with the top foil shaver.
It’s also one of the only shavers to be rated for wet and dry use, making your shaving routine go much faster in the morning. However, the true beauty of this shaver is its ability to shave closely and maneuver easily over your face.
Where to Buy
4. Braun Electric Foil Razor for Men
While the original model launched in 2015, the Braun Electric Foil Shaver is from a long line of high-quality shavers and grooming products from the namebrand. For Men, the Series 9 9370cc provides close shaves thanks to its Optifoil technology.
This Braun series shaver also comes with a precision trimmer and travel case. It’s quick to recharge for cordless operation, and those with sensitive skin will like the design as it was made to handle wiry and flat-lying hairs in one pass.
- World’s most efficient electric shaver*. Efficient, close and gentle, for a flawless shave
- Best efficiency: 5 shaving elements get more hair in one stroke than any other shavers
- Best for gentleness: sonic vibrations glide over your skin for maximum skin comfort.LED display
- Use wet or dry. Now with 20% more battery power
- Product designed, engineered and made in Germany. Recommended by GQ and the Skin Health Alliance accredited
- Easy to use and ergonomic in hand
- Offers close shave for most beard types
- useful cleaning station
- Slightly more expensive
- no LED display or advanced controls
The Braun foil shaver works well for cutting hairs in short beards and long beards. Many foil shavers have difficulty with longer beard hairs but not this Braun.
It’s extremely comfortable and makes it easy to get a close shave, and it’s one of the only shavers we found to remove longer, wiry hairs.
Where to Buy
5. Wahl Professional 5 Star Series Foil Shaver
Recommended by professional stylists and barbers, the Wahl Professional 5 Star Series Foil Shaver offers a super close shave. It’s one of our favorite with its lightweight design that fits perfectly in your hand.
With hypoallergenic gold foil and a powerful rotary motor, you’ll love the sharp cutting blades that deliver smooth, consistent results.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: From Wahl Professional’s commercial grade line of products, the 5-Star Finale Shaver is intended for professional use only and is engineered to deliver the sharp performance that experts demand. The Finale is versatile...
- STYLISH AND FUNCTIONAL: This ultra-powerful shaver offers an appealing aesthetic in addition to top-notch precision and function. The hypoallergenic gold foil allows even the most sensitive individual to use the Finale without any razor bumps,...
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: For your convenience, the 5-Star Finale comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes the shaver, foil guard, wall plug charger, automatic recharging stand, cleaning brush, and operating instructions
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: The 5-Star Finale Lithium Ion Finishing Tool (#8164) measures 4.6” long and weighs 5.8 oz. This shaver features a #7043 foil/cutter bar, rotary motor, and operates at 120 volts/60 hertz
- Gold foils prevent skin irritation
- Super close shave
- easy to clean
- Customers complained it wasn’t the best for long hair shaves
Upon first use of this shaver, the B&B team was impressed with how fast it shaved and how easy it was to use.
The cordless operation and good balance made for quick and easy passes for a quick trim and stubble shave. Best of all, we didn’t experience any razor bumps or skin irritation because of the gold foil.