Have you ever rocked a mustache for longer than a week? Now would be the best time to bring your mustache back. All new facial hair trends suggest that the way you wear your mustache says a lot about your style. One thing’s for sure, mustache wax is a necessity to shape and style your moustache, especially if you’re one of those competing in a Mustache Championship
Mustache wax is a type of “leave in”, facial hair styling product typically made from beeswax and coconut oil. The wax holds mustache hair in place, making it easy to shape, style and condition.
The best mustache waxes are firm and easy to mold with, and they’ll provide a long-lasting hold a beard balm or beard oil just won’t. There’s nothing worse than a handlebar mustache that won’t stay up after you apply the wax.
Mustache Wax Buyer’s Guide
The top mustache wax brands focus on glitzy packaging, because they’re all so similar. There are only a few differences between the field of products that make one superior over another. Most of the time it comes down to ingredients, but scents, costs, and toxic chemicals are other things to consider.
As you shop for products and read reviews, here are some features to keep an eye out for.
Mustache Wax Ingredients
A mustache wax should feel similar to beard balm and have a slightly tacky consistency. There are some common ingredients in hair wax products, but mustache wax products are a little different.
There are brands that don’t use petroleum jelly. Instead, they may combine beeswax with shea butter or pine resin. Other formulas use scented essential oils and tallow.
The most important ingredient is beeswax. You can tell a high-quality wax because of its hold and stickiness. Tackier wax products have the best beeswax.
Scented or Unscented Wax
Most of the time, scented wax products aren’t a problem. They may even smell like sandalwood, coconut, argan oil, pine, or other scents. Some are added into the formula through essential oils, but others may be artificially scented, which can lead to skin sensitivities.
Unscented mustache wax may also be beneficial for those who just want the hold and none of the smells. Perhaps you already have a cologne or lotion that you like best. In this case, you should always look for waxes with truly unscented products.
What to Avoid
Not all hair products are created equal. The B&B team has tested a variety of mustache waxes and found that the best brands have a soft sheen texture, great smelling, created with organic and all-natural ingredients.
Here’s a list of the major bad toxins found in some styling products that cause allergic reactions and acne:
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA)
- DMDM Hydantoin
- Synthetic fragrances
- Retinyl palmitate
Cost of Mustache Wax
High-quality mustache wax typically doesn’t cost more than $10. However, some salon products will go over $30. Most of them come in a 1 to 2 oz tin. Other brands may use plastic bottles or cans.
A 1 oz tin is more than enough, and even the most well-known brands like Golddachs, Beardbrand, and Proraso don’t cost that much.
5 Best Mustache Wax Products You Can Buy Right Now
Mustache wax can help you do so many new mustache styles with your facial hair. While it’s especially made for training your mustache hair to curl and hold unique shapes, you should also note the scent and texture of the wax as well.
High-quality products have a tacky yet smooth texture that doesn’t leave an oily residue on your skin. These products work for all hair types, including black mens’ mustache styles.
We rated the top mustache waxes on their ability to hold, shine, and protect mustache hair. Also, Fisticuffs Strong Hold Mustache Wax is a popular brand that’s not on our list due to customer complaints about the poor smell.
1. Bossman MUDstache: Best Overall Mustache Wax
One of the most popular mustache waxes of all time is the Bossman MUDstache. This is an unscented, no tint, superior hold stache wax that can last all day. It’s very smooth and easy to work with for any facial hair texture and style.
- 24 HOUR MUSTACHE WAX –MUDstache Wax gets its name from Texas mud which is thick and strong enough to snatch a cowboy boot right off your foot. But unlike regular mud, our wax goes on smooth, is both colorless and odorless and works to train your...
- TRAIN THAT ‘STACHE, BOSS – Don’t be that guy. You know…the guy eating the burrito at the taco truck with the piece of lettuce dangling from his unwieldy landscape of hair that he attempts to call a mustache. Wrangle your upper lip hairs in...
- GO EPIC - I know what you’re saying… “My facial hair won’t grow that way”, “I can’t pull off that look”. Enough my fellow naysayers. With Bossman’s MUDstache Wax, any style is possible from the iconic Handlebar moustache, to the...
- SMOOTH AND EASY APPLICATION – Our water-based moustache wax is a clay-like substance and is not hard and unmanageable like other waxes. Easily distribute our product through your hairs to train them away from the mouth…don’t end up like the...
- FRAGRANCE AND TINT FREE - By popular demand we have decided to remove any fragrances from our mustache wax. Yes, our propriety crafted scents on other Bossman beard products are all the rave, but we don’t want to spoil your senses. Our formula is...
The best part about this wax is that you don’t have to worry about strange scents, dyes, or other toxic chemicals in the formula. This is a nearly pure beeswax hair care product that makes your hair more manageable.
2. Death Grip Mustache Wax: Best Hold Mustache Wax
Looking for a super strong hold with your wax? Death Grip says it all. This mustache wax is made for those who want to mold their mustache and have it last for 8 hours or more. These tin cans last for over 4 months, so it’s a great investment for very little cost if you want a professional wax product.
- CAUTION FOR SERIOUS MOUSTACHES ONLY Hairdryer or heat with a little bit of practice is recommended
- EXTRA STRONG HOLD Holds those unruly stash whiskers in place for 8 plus hours even in hot weather
- LASTS A LONG TIME 1oz metal tin mustache wax can last up to 4 months of daily usage; non scented
- HANDCRAFTED MADE IN THE USA All natural cruelty free ingredients competition grade moustache wax
- DEATH GRIP MUSTACHE WAX GUARANTEE If you are not satisfied for any reason we will refund your money
Handcrafted and made in the USA, Death Grip also provides a moneyback guarantee if you don’t like using this wax. With over 1,100 positive ratings, it’s one of the most well known waxes for men who are serious about styling their mustaches.
3. Mountaineer Brand Mustache Wax: Best Scented Wax
We know that scented wax can be a real guessing game, but Mountaineer’s Mustache Wax is truly one of the highest-quality men’s care brands.
Their cedar fir scent mustache wax is absolutely amazing and holds mustache hair in place for several hours. In addition, it comes in a large 2 oz tin can that will last you for 6 months.
- LARGE 2 OUNCE TIN: Compare sizes when you are shopping; although a few have caught on, most companies are still offering their wax in smaller tins. TWICE AS MUCH means it lasts TWICE AS LONG.
- ALL-NATURAL MATTERS WHEN IT’S THAT CLOSE! Even the most careful among us get a mouthful of mustache once in a while. Many waxes on the market are petroleum based—that’s oil and gas! Don’t risk getting that inside your body. All natural...
- ORIGINAL MOUSTACHE WAX HAS A MILD SCENT OF CEDAR AND FIR NEEDLE WITH A MILD SCENT that doesn't cling all day so it doesn’t interfere with whatever else passes under your nose on a daily basis.
- NEUTRAL/CLEAR TINT doesn’t get in the way of your natural hair color. It lets the real you show through.
- HANDMADE IN WV, USA. Each batch is handcrafted with the end use in mind. If you’re not satisfied, just let us know and we’ll refund your money. No questions asked.
With its all-natural beeswax formula and plant-based oils, you’ll love the way your hair looks and feels with this organic mustache wax.
You’ll get two cans of handlebar mustache wax for a total of 2 ounces. The “Medium Hold Wax” primary and the “Extra Strong Hold Wax” secondary. The extra strong hold mustache wax is for those days when you want to style a cowboy or smooth handlebar mustache that needs all day hold.
So, why did CanYouHandlebar create this set? For men who want the shine and look of wax as well as for days when you need a stronger hold.
- WINNING COMBINATION: "Without a doubt the Primary and Secondary Wax are the two best gifts to the handlebar mustache!" - Robert G. (Can You Handlebar Customer review)
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS/MADE IN THE USA: Safe, natural, nothing hidden, no petroleum. Ingredients listed below. Made right here in the USA
- NO WORRIES GUARANTEE: We offer a full refund or replacement if a product or is not what you were expecting. Just contact us directly and we'll get you taken care of.
- DESIGNED FOR REAL LIFE: Oil proof, waterproof labels won't dissolve in your pocket. Stainless steel.
- PROFESSIONAL APPROACH: Trusted by salons and barbers worldwide to deliver a superior product
We like the idea of having multiple mustache strength waxes at home, especially for days when we’re serious about our cowboy mustache. These formulas are also oil-proof and waterproof, and it’s one of the brands recommended by barbers and salons.
5. Firehouse Moustache Wax – Wacky Tacky, Strong Mustache & Beard Wax, Naturally Scented
We wanted to include the Firehouse brand mustache wax because of its all-weather, tinted formula. It’s actually made to have a slightly natural dark tint, which is perfect for defining your mustache shape. There are three colors to choose from including a light, medium, and dark hair color tint.
- STRONG, HIGH HOLD MUSTACHE & BEARD WAX - This dark mustache wax is made to withstand extreme heat, humidity, wind and any other weather condition. Easy application with no need to reapply. Your search stops here for the perfect moustache/goatee/beard...
- NATURAL SCENT & COLOR - There are no dyes or fragrances in our stache wax. Both color and scent come naturally from the waxes used. A must-have for your mustache & beard care!
- BEST FOR: Our Wacky Tacky mustache wax is the darkest of our waxes and blends well with brown to black hair. Goes on lighter than it looks in the tin & can be lighter/darker than shown due to natural variances in the waxes used.
- OTHER VARIANTS: Also available in Light and Dark. Our Light wax is best for white/blonde/gray hair. Dark is the mustache & beard wax that blends well with brown hair or reddish hair. Wacky Tacky is darker in color and a little more tacky/sticky than...
- MADE IN THE USA - Personally handmade in small batches, hand poured and tested by Fireman John. Comes in a 1-ounce slip cover tin which can easily slide into your pocket.
The wax blends exceptionally well into any hair color, but it’s best to purchase a darker tint if you have light brown hair, rather than go for the light wax. It’s a great option for blending away gray hairs and getting a super strong hold on your mustache hair.