If you look in almost any man’s bathroom cabinet, there’s bound to be a safety razor or disposable razor. However, as almost any barber will tell you, a safety razor always provides a superior, smooth result, but you can also use them for wet shaving.
A Safety Razor is manual shaving instrument designed to protect the user from injury and hence the name. The primary components of the razor are the handle, safety bar, razor blade and cap. The construction offers the safest shaving experience over cartridge and straight razor shaving and is well suited for a novice user.
The safety razor comes in various configurations, including long handles and double-edge blades. Compared to electric razors or cartridge razors, safety razors are known for offering a very close shave.
Safety Razor Buying Guide
Finding the best safety razor and double-edge blades is essential to using this shaving method correctly. Once you get your shaving technique down with a safety razor, you’ll always have super smooth skin.
While you may think a cartridge razor is the easiest to shave with, it’s not the closest, and safety razors are just as easy and even safer. For example, butterfly safety razors are designed to protect your skin from nicks and cuts. With these razors, all you have to do is change out the blade to get a close shave.
Cartridge razors require you to buy expensive heads with up to 5 blades in each. This leads to much higher cost and a lesser quality of shave.
The B&B team might be biased, but safety razors always result in a superior shave and don’t cause as much skin irritation. When looking for the best safety razor, keep these features in mind:
Benefits of Safety Razors
- Sharp blades make it easy to get a close shave
- More savings over long-term use
- More durable than cartridge or single blade disposable razors
- Less likely to cause razor burn
- Can be used with shaving cream or gel
Single Edge Razors vs Double Edge Razors
Most safety razors are designed for single or double edge models. Some men prefer a single edge safety razor because it’s easier to maneuver. Double edge razors are more popular and tend to have a closer shave, depending on the thickness of your beard.
If you have a patchy beard or stubble beard, you may only need a single-edge razor. Both razor blades have similar pricing.
Difference between open-comb and closed-comb razor
The open-comb style razor doesn’t have the safety (straight) bar to contact the user’s skin. Instead, it has distinct teeth showing which allows for a closer (more aggressive) shave, but also leaves the blade more exposed.
The closed-comb style razor has the safety (straight) bar to contact the user’s skin. It still allows for a close, but less aggressive shave. The benefit is keeping the blade less exposed and safer for the user.
Certain skin types are more sensitive than others to razor burn and irritation. With an adjustable safety razor, you can easily tune a razor to match your skin type. This means you’re less likely to have issues with nicks and cuts if it’s easier to adjust the blades.
The handle is probably the most important piece of any razor. You want a long, weighted handle with a textured grip. If you don’t have a great handle, then it can be harder to hold on to the razor, causing you to slip when you shave. It’s also important if you’re using a razor for a head shave.
Design and Material
The best safety razors are made from steel and have a chrome finish. They’re slightly weighted, so you can easily balance the handle in your hand and avoid any slippage. Heavy razors are also easier to use because they take the pressure away so that the razor can do most of the work.
Looking for a professional shave at home? Barbers recommend a safety razor for best shave experience. It offers a safe shave without irritation or razor burn you get from most cartridge razors.
1. Merkur 34C Classic Safety Razor: Best Overall Safety Razor
As the Merkur 34C is one of the most purchased and highly rated safety razors, we put it as top of our list to review and find out why people love this razor so much. Customers refer to this shaver as an “aggressive” safety razor, which means it’s slightly heavier in hand. This gives the razor more balance, and many experienced shavers like when their razor has a little weight.
While still a safety razor that beginners can use, it’s slightly more aggressive than most other razors on the market. The blade replacement is easy because it’s a two-piece razor. However, it’s the construction and design with the textured grip handle that makes it a top choice. You’ll get a lot of use out of this safety razor.
- Extra thick handle
- Reliable grip
- Made in Germany
- Allows for a close, comfortable shave
Best Overall Safety Razor
- Balanced weight
- Easy to Use
- Great Texture Grip
- Not great for those who like long-handle safety razors
Whether you want a simple, close shave or like a weighted razor, the Merkur 34C razor is the perfect option for any shaver in any stage of experience. You can use it simply thanks to the two-piece design. You’ll only need to supply double edge razor blades to use the Merkur 34C.
Where to Buy
2. Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly Safety Razor: Best Razor under $20
This beautiful, Black Chrome Safety Razor by Weishi is a long handle, stainless steel safety razor that lets you get the closest shave with as little pressure as possible. The weight of the razor does the work for you, making it simple to get a close shave in under a minute and head out of the door.
The hardest part of the Weishi razor is replacing the blades at the very start. You’ll twist the knob located at the bottom of the razor’s handle to open and close the blade chamber. Once you do it the first time, it’s easy to change out the blades in the Weishi.
- Hold the blades by the sides. Place the blade in the blade chamber. Give the handle a gentle shake to help seat the blade. Make sure the blade is centered from end to end and hold the razor head level. Twist the knob located at the bottom of the razor handle to close the blade chamber until completely closed and the blade is secure. Now your WEISHI is ready for an unbelievable shave.
- Net Weight of Razor: 74g,Measurement: 11CM total length.
- Pakage contents: 1 x WEISHI Long Handle Version Razor / 5 X WEISHI Stainless Blades / Instructions
- Here are four keys to a successful shave Use as little pressure as possible. 1-Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. 2-Hold razor by the tip of the handle. 3-Angle the blade at a 45 degrees angle. 4-Shave with the grain of your beard.
- This is a beautiful safety razor for either your own use or a gift. The blades are in the bottom of the black safety razor box.
Best Safety Razor Under $20
- Incredible Look and Feel
- Perfectly Weighted for an Easy Shave
- Easy to Use
- Excellent grip
- Customers reported issues with a mechanical knob sticking
- Included double edge blades aren’t high quality
For the price, the Weishi Nostalgic razor is a great value and offers a superior shave just as if you were at the barber. One thing that we noted was the quality of the double edge blades upon opening the package. These weren’t the best in quality and recommend purchasing a stronger double-edge blade.
Where to Buy
3. Merkur Futur 23C Long Handle Razor: Best Safety Razor Under $50
The razor built for a “man’s hands” is known as the Merkur Futur 23C. This long handle safety razor provides more comfort and control over your shave, and the design of the razor is pretty great, too. With a longer length and slightly weighted design, this razor is perfect for those who crave more pressure to guide their hand easily.
Made in Solingen, Germany, the Merkur Futur 23C is another popular, highly rated razor that provides more leverage and maneuverability.No products found.
Best Safety Razor Under $50No products found.
- Long Handle for More Control
- 4.2 inches in length
- Chrome finish
- Buy higher quality double edge blades
Even though it’s marketed as a razor “made for man’s hands,” both men and women can use this razor and get a high-quality shave. It’s a durable handle made with a textured grip that you can use for your face, body, and head shaves.
Where to Buy
4. Edwin Jagger: Best Safety Razor for Beginners
Edwin Jagger makes high-quality safety razors with different, colorful designs. This Edwin Jagger double edge safety razor is a comfortably weighted razor for a balanced, close shave. It’s perfectly suited for new and experienced shavers. It’s also one of the more well-known, historic brand, so it comes with a guarantee of authenticity.
These razors are incredibly durable, chrome-plated, and made for wet shaving. Made in Sheffield, England, the razor handle has a two-part double-edge design. The original kit includes five double edge replacement blades.
- Unique design from the original designers of the DE8 Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor range, offers a very close, comfortable shave, with very low cost blade replacement it saves you money every day
- Comfortable weight and balance for accurate, close shaving. This is an ideal razor, with a blade angle perfectly suited for both new and experienced Double Edge wet shavers
- Smart polished black acrylic handle, with the Edwin Jagger name embossed into the chrome plated collar, a guarantee of authenticity
- A genuine Edwin Jagger design Double Edge Safety Razor from an internationally renowned supplier, based in Sheffield England. Register your new razor with the manufacturer for authenticity and years of excellent product support
- The two-part DE razor head is compatible with all standard Double Edge Safety Razor Blades and includes a FREE 5 blade pack of blades. Delivered in smart Edwin Jagger packaging, with instructions, traditional wet shaving advice and product registration information
Best Safety Razor for Beginners
- Superb for wet shaving
- Affordable and durable
- Excellent product support
- Fits all standard DE blades
- Keep Dry or zinc pieces will corrode and make it difficult to unscrew the blade compartment
- Doesn’t come with a case
With over 10,000 positive reviews, Edward Jagger makes the best safety razor. Their double-edge safety razor offers a supreme shave, and it’s quite stylish to have in your bathroom, too.
Where to Buy
5. Vikings Blade Chieftain Razor: Best Heavy Safety Razor
One of the original, time-tested safety razors on the market, the Vikings Blade Chieftain razor is a top-notch medium-aggressive safety razor. It’s a bit heavier, which leads to a smoother shave. Vikings Blade uses high-end, eco-friendly materials to make their products, and it comes with a luxury case and mirror.
Another great feature of this product is the Swedish 13C26 steel mild double edge blades that come with the initial purchase on Amazon. With its stylish design, textured grip, and weighted handle, it’s one of the best shavers to buy yourself or someone else.
- This is THE original Chieftain: a time-tested and proven perfect all-rounder razor with medium aggression
- 20% Heavier. 150% Smoother. 200% more Eco-Friendly than other mass-produced lookalikes
- HIGH-end materials, HEAVY construction & SUPERB quality control
- Luxury case with mirror with a pack of Swedish 13C26 steel mild blades
- Great and meaningful for all occasions: Christmas, Father's Day etc
Best Heavy Safety Razor
- High Quality design
- Textured grip
- May be too aggressive for beginners
For higher control and a smoother shave, we recommend experienced shavers go for a safety razor like the Vikings Blade Chieftain. With steel blades, 20% heavier design, and stylish chrome design, it’s fun to use and leaves behind a superbly smooth result.