With the best shaving brush, you’ll get a great lather and a more comfortable shave, but there are other benefits that come with this shaving accessory.
If you haven’t used a shaving brush before or want to know what to look for, we’ve done all the research and found the best shaving brushes on the market, as well as the import features.
What is a Shaving Brush?
A shaving brush is a men’s lathering tool that’s made with soft bristles to spread shave cream evenly and accurately. Those who like to wet shave, such as barbers, straight razor and safety razor lovers, use shaving brushes to develop a rich, thick lather unmatched by can products.
Are you living your best life? We’re advocates for treating yourself, which means taking care of your skin and beard with the best shaving products.
Not all shave brushes have the same quality bristles and handheld design. There are a ton of cheap products on the market that fall apart, too.
Avoid those problems with this quick buyer’s guide I’ve put together to find the best shaving brush.
Shaving Brush Buyer’s Guide
For men who want a simple, comfortable wet shave, a shaving brush is a crucial part of the shaving process.
I looked for specific features in the shave brushes that I chose so you’d get the most value, in addition to a perfectly smooth shave.
Here’s how I graded the quality of shaving brushes:
- Bristle type (badger hair preferred)
- Size and weight (must feel balanced in hand)
- Durability for long time use (wooden handle, badger silvertip brushes)
- Price tag
- Water retention
- Overall customer satisfaction
Shaving Brush Bristle Types
The fibers in shaving brushes are typically softer so they glide across the skin and coat facial hair with ease, but they also need to hold shave cream and spread thick across your face.
Badger Silvertip Brushes or Synthetic?
Ideally, you want to look for pure badger hair bristles or silvertip bristles, as these are the premium quality fibers.
Just a head’s up: look for “badger silvertip brushes” that indicates they are made from real animal hair.
Synthetic fibers offer a poor to average lathering experience, as well these brushes often have loose fibers that stick to your face.
There are also stiffer, stronger boar or horsehair brush bristles. However, I prefer soft bristles to lather up with, as it’s just more comfortable, but boar bristles may lead to better exfoliation and more coverage.
For sensitive skin, the best results will come from silvertip badger bristles or synthetic materials that mimic their natural softness if you’re on a budget.
Vegan-Friendly Shave Brushes
There are brands out there that try to make a higher-quality silvertip brush from synthetics. These manufacturers do their best to emulate the texture and softness of real badger silvertip hair or even horse hair.
I’ve included both real and vegan-friendly shaving brushes in the reviews below.
Brush handles should be ergonomic and easy to fit in your hand. However, you also want a material that will stand the test of time and have water-resistant characteristics.
Wood Handle Brushes vs Resin or Plastic
Most handles are made from metal or wood, although there are others made from plastic.
There’s nothing really wrong with a plastic handle, except that the aesthetic of the wood handle is much better than a resin or synthetic handle. IMHO – anything other than a wooden handle feels like less of a product.
Shaving Brush Maintenance
Wet shavers know that the best shaving brushes provide a quality lather, but they also require upkeep and cleaning.
Knowing how to care for a shaving brush is just as important as knowing what features to look for. After all, you want to be able to use this tool for many years.
The process is pretty simple. After you shave, you’ll rinse the shaving brush off gently under hot water. It will take about 1-2 minutes to rinse all the shaving cream thoroughly. Next, you’ll flick or lightly shake off the excess water from the brush, then place on a stand to dry.
If you don’t have a shaving brush stand, that’s okay, too. You can also place on a clean washcloth and allow it to air dry.
How to Clean a Dirty Shaving Brush
Cleanliness with shaving brushes starts with how you store this tool. You don’t want to place inside of a container or enclose in a tight space when it’s still wet. That may lead to mold and mildew, especially if it has real animal hair bristles.
However, if you want to keep your shaving brush as clean and sterile as possible, you just need to soak the bristles in a borax and water solution. There are also a few different shaving brush cleaning soaps out there that let you lather up with a disinfecting, cleaning solution, such as the one from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.
Shaving Brush Size
You should always pick a shaving brush that’s going to feel great in the palm of your hand. Anything too small won’t feel ergonomic. Cheaper, smaller shaving brushes are typically not well made like a sturdy, large shaving brush with good balance.
You should always check materials, and customer reviews before buying a shaving brush.
Some are priced at under $10, while premium brands charge as much as $250 for a full shaving brush kit.
The main quality is in the bristles and handle. If it comes with genuine boar bristles, silvertip badger hair, or other specialty fibers, you can expect to pay a little more.
Best Shaving Brushes Reviewed
Tests based construction, quality of materials, price and user satisfaction.
1. Parker 100% Real Badger Silvertip Brush
Made from real silvertip bristles, the Parker Silvertip Shaving Brush is so soft and feels amazing on your skin. These are 100% real badger silvertip brushes, which come with a white, faux ivory handle and a free lucite brush stand.
A shave brush like this makes wet shaving simple and easy. The bristles glide over the skin and hold shaving cream really well. I got a rich, thick lather from my shave soap within seconds.
- Handmade with genuine silvertip badger bristles - the softest available
- Generates a rich luxurious lather when used with a quality shave soap or cream
- A must for preparing your face for a close and luxurious shave
- Comes with a free lucite brush stand to hang brush after use for proper drying
- A high quality brush to provide years of service
Just one swirl around the shaving bowl with this shaving brush, and you’ll fall in love with this premium-quality product. While it’s a bit expensive, the quality and stand to ensure that you’ll have this brush for a lifetime.
Where to Buy
2. Omega HI-BRUSH Vegan-Friendly Shaving Brush
I wanted to include an up-and-coming brand that offers high-quality vegan-friendly, synthetic shaving brushes. The Omega HI-BRUSH Synthetic Shaving Brush has very realistic badger silvertip brushes without using actual animal hair.
It’s also a beautifully designed shaving brush with a white, ergonomic handle that fits perfectly in your hand. The bristles are thick but soft, picking up a ton of product in just a couple swirls.
- Omega White Synthetic Shaving Brush
- Synthetic Shaving Brush
- White Shaving Brush
- Omega Shaving Brush
- Vegan Shaving Brush
This brush truly has excellent value, and the brushes hold their shape. The bristles look and feel like the real thing, and they don’t fall out, which is a common issue with synthetic brushes. You’ll love using this with a premium shave soap.
Where to Buy
3. Hawkins & Brimble Shaving Brush
I wanted to include one more high-quality, vegan-friendly brush that’s a little cheaper than the Omega. The Hawkins & Brimble Shaving Brush offers incredibly soft bristles that still hold their shape and pick up a ton of product.
- SYNTHETIC BRUSH/VEGAN FRIENDLY: Our shaving brush has been expertly crafted to create a synthetic brush, which is dense with impeccably soft bristles
- ELIMINATE RAZOR BURN: Helps deliver shaving cream to every inch of hair, ensuring your skin is protected during the hair removal process
- DIRECTION FOR USE For a rich lather hold the brush beneath running hot water ensuring as much water is held on the brush as possible to hydrate and protect your skin during shaving. Using a circular motion, apply a small amount of Hawkins & Brimble shaving cream to the brush. Use a small amount of pressure to lather up your face working from the neck upwards. When shaving is complete rinse the brush under running water until the brush is soap free, then shake vigorously to remove all the water
- ALWAYS FREE FROM … Parabens, Colourants, SLS/SLES, Mineral oils and never tested on animals
- MADE IN THE EU: Proud to be crafted with care using naturally derived ingredients
You’ll get a rich lather with just a couple swipes using this Hawkin & Brimble brush. Made with naturally derived ingredients, this shaving brush provides a smooth shaving experience.
Where to Buy
4. Omega Professional Boar Bristle Brush
The Omega “Pro” Shaving Brush proves that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a high-quality shaving brush.
Highly rated for its thick, boar bristles that pick up shaving cream instantly, the Omega Pro Shaving Brush will last you many years thanks to its durable craftsmanship.
- PROFESSIONAL BRUSH - Many professionals prefer the Omega Pro 48 due to its high-quality performance
- 100 PERCENT BOAR BRISTLES - The brush is made of all-natural boar bristles. It has dense, soft bristles for a close shave
- EASY TO HOLD - The brush has a chrome-colored ABS handle that is easy to hold and provides a comfortable grip
- RECOMMENDED FOR ALL SHAVING CREAMS AND SOAPS - This bristle brush is excellent for use with all shaving creams and soaps of all skin types. It is the perfect match with lavish soaps from Italy
I used this with both a shaving soap and cream to test how well the boar bristles handled the product. The brush picked up the lather quickly, and it was easy to hold. The boar bristles aren’t as soft as badger silvertip brushes, but it wasn’t prickly at all either.
Where to Buy
5. Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Brush
Is the Perfecto Badger Hair Shaving Brush the most perfect on my list? It’s close! With 100% real badger silvertip hair, this brush soaks up warm water and picks up shaving cream. It instantly foams up, allowing for thick coverage over your face.
- 100% Badger hair bristles
- Gently exfoliates the skin
- Brings water to the face for that perfect, true wet shave
- Creates a perfect rich lather
- Fits Perfectly in the "Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand"PLEASE NOTE, that as with all genuine badger hair brushes, slight shedding may occur during the first few times in use--Handle color may vary--ONLY ONE BRUSH IS INCLUDED.
I was really impressed by Perfecto’s shaving brush. There were a couple of shedding hairs, which I don’t hold against a new brush. Perfecto provides a disclaimer that this may happen, though I didn’t experience with the other brushes. However, I do think this brush has a larger amount of bristles, making it quite dense, so shedding a few hairs at first is normal. You can dust the brush in your hand before you start to get rid of those first loose 1 or 2 hairs. After a few uses, it was fine.
Where to Buy
6. Vie Long Professional Horse Hair Brush
One of the benefits of the Vie Long Professional Horse Hair Brush is that it lathers up three times as fast as a normal boar bristle or badger silvertip brush. That said, the bristles on this brush are a bit stiffer, but it’s the ergonomic handle and ease of use that really makes this shaving brush stand out.
- Vie-Long: The Vie-Long horse hair shaving brush is a great looking brush with classic styling. Creates a perfect rich lather with your favorite shave soap or cream.
- GENTLY EXFOLIATES THE SKIN: The brushes are extremely soft and offers gently touch on your skin.
- EASY TO USE AND COMFORTABLE: With an unique design, easy to hold and provides comfortable grip. Easier to create foam, smooth surface giving you luxurious quality feeling.
- DIMENSION: Knot diameter: 21 mm, Bristle Loft: 61 mm, Handle height: 56 mm and Overall height: 117 mm
- PERFECT FOR GIFT: A perfect luxury gift for your families and friends. Great and meaningful for all occasions- Christmas, Valentine's Day, Father's Day etc
You’ll get a lot of value and lather out of this horse hair shaving brush from Vie Long, and it’s a durable design that delivers on coverage. I do have to comment on the smell out of the box, which is pretty strong. It’s not a bad smell, just a disinfectant smell.
Where to Buy
7. Parker Travel Brush
If you want something that you can take with you, the Parker Travel Shaving Brush offers a superior quality brush within a compact package. Despite it’s slim handle, you still get the same coverage as compared to the other Parker shaving brush.
This brush is handmade and comes with 100% real badger silvertip hair. It’s incredibly soft but holds its shape, easily whipping up lather in a few swirls.
- A travel brush with a 18 mm handmade Silvertip badger brush knot
- Ingenious design - the brush fits in the travel case.
- Outstanding Quality - A genuine Parker Safety Razor product
- Great for everyday use or travel
This 19mm brush knot with a lightweight tube-shaped container is very convenient for any travel needs you have. However, it’s also just nice to lather up, rinse off, dry, and then store away in this handy container. This would make a great stocking stuffer or addition to a shaving kit gift.
Where to Buy
8. Vikings Blade White Knight Shaving Brush
The Vikings Blade Luxury Shaving Brush has a beautiful faux ivory acrylic handle with a heavy steel base. This shaving brush feels amazing in hand and leads to a fast lather. It’s super easy to pick up shaving cream, even though this brush has faux badger silvertip hair.
If you’re looking for another vegan-friendly shaving brush, this Vikings Blade shaving brush has high-quality synthetic bristles that feel nearly 100% real.
- NOTE: PACKAGING MAY VARY: You will receive either a blue or white tube
- Luxury shaving brush, made from top-end synthetic fibres rivalling silvertip badger hair
- Heavy duty stainless steel base, one of the heaviest brushes on Amazon. High water retention, not affected by hard water
- Great and meaningful for all occasions: Christmas, Valentine's Day, Father's Day etc
- Product of Australia
Highly rated by customers, I knew I would like this Vikings Blade shaving brush. It’s very posh at first glance, but the bristles truly hold the product and spread it quickly over your skin. I liked the experience and especially the look of this brush.
Where to Buy
9. Viking Revolution Badger Hair Shaving Brush
For a rich lather and 100% natural badger silvertip hair, the Viking Revolution Shaving Brush offers excellent coverage. While the handle isn’t as impressive as some of the wooden or faux ivory handles, it’s weighted and fits nicely in the palm of your hand.
- Rich Lather- Create the perfect rich lather with our 100% Natural Badger Brush
- Gently Exfoliates- While containing dense bristles, they are still soft enough to create a warm lather for the best shave possible
- Perfect Gift- Works great with Shaving Cream or Shaving Soap and Double Edge Safety Razor for the perfect wet shave
- The Viking Promise: If for any reason, you’re not completely satisfied, simply contact us and we’ll take care of it.
I like the Viking Revolution brand because of their quality bristles and very budget-friendly cost (under $10). These are soft, thick bristles that pick up and hold product well, making quick work of your morning shaving routine. You just hold this brush under hot water for 60 seconds, then swirl once around your shave soap to get a thick lather going.
Where to Buy
10. Edwin Jagger Best Badger Shaving Brush with Drip Stand
Edwin Jagger’s Best Badger Shaving Brush provides everything you need for a professional shaving brush, including a drip stand. Made to look like ebony, Edwin Jagger’s shaving brush is actually made from Sheffield and polished horn. It’s a little bit more lightweight, so if you like a heavy base, this may not work for you.
- Genuine Edwin Jagger design shaving brush branded for authenticity and warranty
- Medium size & weight Best Badger brush is ideal for all wet shavers; Material: Sheffield using highly Polished Horn Polyester.
- Lathering with brush softens and lifts beard hair for closer longer lasting shave, exfoliates and stimulates facial skin for fabulous feel good
- Use with quality shaving cream or soap, Best badger hair generates rich lather for great shaving result
- Packed with matching drip stand for easy storage and drying purposes
I wanted to review Edwin Jagger’s badger hair brush because it’s a high-quality, known brand in the shaving world, and I was pretty impressed. The bristles hold water and shaving cream extremely well, so you can get a decent lather quickly. I used with both shaving soap and cream, and I liked the feel of the bristles and coverage.
Where to Buy
Final Thoughts: Which Shaving Brush is Best?
Whether you are a wet shaving fanatic or just getting into it, there are all kinds of benefits of switching to a shaving soap and shaving brush. If you like looking your best with the closest shave possible, these shaving brushes have everything you need, and they’re all pretty high quality.
If I had to pick just one shaving brush that I tested, I’d go with the Parker Badger Hair Shaving Brush. It doesn’t have a wooden handle, which is my preference, but it was the first one that I tested, and I really liked the way it created a good lather in just a few seconds. I didn’t have to spend any time soaking the brush either, it just instantly soaked in the hot water so I could lather up the bristles. Very easy!