When covering up bald spots and thinning areas, hair fibers have evolved beyond the fake textures that were so easily recognizable in the 1990s. Today’s products are made from real human hair and include keratin, creating a perfectly thick head of hair in seconds.
Should you start using hair fiber to thicken your hair and hide where you’re balding? There are a few products that work best. This guide also provides you with tips to use hair fibers so they are undetectable.
What are Hair Fibers?
Hair fibers are tiny static-charged strands made from keratin. Also known as hair building fibers, these sprays and powders work quickly to fill in thinning hair and cover bald spots.
Hair fibers give the appearance of thick, full hair by bonding to hair follicles using static electricity and keratin. Available in spray or powder form, the best hair building fibers look identical to an individual’s natural hair no matter if it’s straight or curly.
With just a quick spray, men and women can use hair fibers to get back a full head of hair effortlessly.
While not all of these products are made equal, the best hair fibers are water-resistant and look like real human hair.
Types of Hair Fibers
There are two main types of hair building fibers.
Hair Fiber Spray
These are aerosol sprays that you shake up to charge static electricity and then spray keratin fibers into thinning areas. They also work well as a hairline spray to define the hairline’s ridge.
Hair Fiber Powders
The powder form of hair fibers come in a salt shaker that you sprinkle along thinning areas to fill in.
Sprays are more popular and work better than powders in most cases. We review the best products below.
Why Use Hair Building Fibers
Want to camouflage a bald spot forming on your crown? What about filling in spots to get back your juvenile hairline? These are just a couple of reasons why people use these products:
- Fill in a maturing hairline with fiber spray
- Cover up wide parts
- Hide thinning crown
- Camouflage bald spots
Basically, any areas where you want your hair to be thicker, you need only do a quick spot spray or sprinkle with a powder applicator. The fibers cling to your natural hair and thicken each area, making your hair fuller.
Pros and Cons
You can easily use hair fibers on your own at home. While you can follow the instructions on these products, there are a number of videos showing you how to make hair look even more natural using these static electric fibers.
There are many advantages and a few disadvantages to using hair fiber powders over other hair restoration methods.
Pros of Hair Fibers
- Safe for most scalps
- Fills in bald spots quickly
- Multiple colors available
- No glue or weave application necessary
- No needles or surgery required
Cons of Hair Fibers
- Doesn’t feel like natural hair
- Fibers fall off at touch
- Some products are synthetic keratin and don’t work as well
- Must match hair color or won’t look natural
- Avoid clothes and other fabrics as it can stain
Before and After Hair Fibers
Take a gander at the men and women who’ve used hair fibers to cover up hair loss. You be the judge. Does it look like natural hair?
How to Use Hair Fibers
Most hair fiber products are powder shakers that may have a tube-like applicator. This allows you to isolate a wide, thinning part or smaller, more specific areas.
Here are the steps to get a natural look with hair building fibers:
1. Clean first
Wash, dry, and style your hair the way you want.
2. Prep Hair Fibers
Shake your hairline spray can to charge up fibers. If using powder, uncap and lightly shake before using.
3. Spray or Sprinkle
Focus the nozzle applicator about 1-2 inches away from the thinning spot. If using powder, position shaker just an inch above the bald spot and sprinkle the fibers.
4. Pat Fibers Gently
To spread fibers and fill in spots, pat each area with your fibers. You may also use a comb or brush to lightly comb in fibers.
If you have a hair building fiber with an applicator, use it to pinpoint balding areas, such as a balding hair part. These applicator hair fibers are easily attached to the nozzle, such as with Toppik’s hair building fibers.
Hair fibers work best on dry hair. It’s best if you don’t get hair building fibers wet, as they tend to melt and run. However, some products are waterproof.
Best Hair Fibers
Fiber bald spot sprays and powders should work with any hair type. We looked at the top hair fiber products and found the three that work the best based on natural fiber quality, longevity, and color choices.
1. Toppik Hair Building Fibers
Toppik fiberhold spray is well known as the top hair building fiber spray on the market currently. The brand has built a genuine keratin fiber spray that works for both women and men.
It comes with an easy-to-use nozzle and applicator to fill in smaller areas of thinning, existing hair easily, such as a thinning hair part to the side or around your hairline. You only need to pat hair gently to disperse.
There are nine different hair building fibers to choose from. Toppik is resistant to light rain and heat, and it easily washes off with a daily shampoo. The company also provides a 30-day refund for anyone who isn’t satisfied with results.
- Helps instantly transform the appearance of fine thin or thinning hair.
- Leaves hair full and thick.
- For a completely natural look.
Where to Buy
2. Caboki Hair Loss Concealer
For over 30 years, Caboki has created high-quality hair loss concealer products. If you suffer from thinning and hair loss, using the powder hair fibers from Caboki can easily help you fill in areas.
However, unlike Toppik, Caboki uses fibers made from Moroccan cotton. While these fibers still bond to your hair strands, it doesn’t always look as natural or stick to your hair as long-term as Toppik does.
Caboki hair fibers come in 14 different colors, and it’s made from all-natural ingredients, including the colorant. It’s very affordable and works as a temporary hair loss concealer.
- Caboki is NOT what you think it is.
- It is NOT a "paint for hair"
- It is NOT a "shoe polish for hair"
- Caboki is a natural product that instantly conceals your bald spot or thinning area. It gives you a perfectly natural look. No one will know you're using Caboki unless you tell them - even if they get a close up view, outdoor, under bright sun light.
- Reclaim your confidence, click 'Add to Cart' to buy now.
Where to Buy
3. XFusion Hair Fibers
For those who want keratin proteins, XFusion hair fibers are another spray that only uses the most natural fibers, making it mostly undetectable to the naked eye.
There are multiple colors to choose from, and it comes with a spray applicator for on-the-spot coverage.
There are 9 different colors to choose from, and it’s resistant to wind, sweat, and rain. While it’s a bit more expensive, you may like the natural results from this hair building spray more than others.
- Instantly fills in thinning areas
- Conceals hair loss
- Makes fine hair look instantly thick and full
- Great as a root touch-up between colorings
- The exclusive Professional Only product line by Toppik
Where to Buy
4. BOLDIFY Hair Fibers for Thinning Hair
Great product to cover extreme thinning, balding, patchy spots. It works perfectly across your temples, side part, crown and sides. It has a “natural hair” finish, with just a little shine.
Their 15 second coverage statement is a bold claim. However, it does work fast and if you take your time you can get a very natural look in about a minute.
- Clump-proof fibers for a real hair effect & undetectable finish
- Industry leading worry-free color match guarantee
- Superior products made better: all-natural, 100% cruelty-free hair building fibers are made under strict quality standards in our iso 9001 facility. we responsibly and sustainably source only the finest ingredients to create a superior, yet affordable, product that works far better than other overpriced keratin fibers!
- Hassle free satisfaction guarantee
- Easy to apply, mishap-free fibers that outlast the day
Where to Buy
5. ELEVATE Hair Fibers 100% Natural Keratin Hair Fibers Instantly Thickens Thinning or Balding Hair for Men and Women – Natural Hair Loss Concealer 28g 0.98oz
Natural hair loss concealer is 100% natural keratin hair Fibers by ELEVATE instantly thickens bald spots and thinning hair for men and women.
Elevates your confidence and appearance easily with natural looking fibers that come in 4 colors – black, dark brown, medium brown and light brown. Excellent reviews!
- BLACK - INSTANT THICKER FULLER HAIR IN SECONDS: Elevate Hair Building Fibers give you the immediate appearance of thicker, fuller hair.
- NATURAL HAIR FIBERS: Made of the highest quality 100% natural keratin protein fibers to bond, thicken, and conceal thinning hair instantly & undetectable.
- WORKS AMAZING FOR MEN AND WOMEN: Our hair loss thickening fibers instantly boost your confidence, appearance, fullness, and boldness. 2-3 Month Supply Per Bottle.
- EASY TO USE AND CLEAN: Shake & sprinkle onto thinning areas for instant coverage within seconds. Lasts all day and when no longer needed, simply wash out with any shampoo.
- ELEVATE 100% PROMISE: We back all of our products with a 100% Customer Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee when you Buy Today!
Where to Buy
Hair Fiber FAQs
Are hair fibers bad for your hair?
In general, without knowing allergies and sensitivities, applying hair fibers shouldn’t cause any side effects. Some products do include dyes like red 22 and red 33, which can be irritating to some skin types. The top brands have keratin strands and use natural ingredients, such as mineral dyes.
However, there are some reports that if you don’t wash fibers out of your hair or if you have sensitivities to propylene glycol, then you could suffer from acne on your scalp or other irritants.
If you notice dry skin and itchiness after using fibers, shampoo and wash out the fibers. Check the ingredients to see if there are ingredients that cause your skin to break out.
How long does hair fibers last?
This depends on the hair building fiber brand. For example, Toppik claims that hair fibers last for a full 24 hours. Others may only last for a couple of hours, depending on the activity.
The real issue is that hair fibers are susceptible to moisture and may start to wear off if sweat, rain, or other moisture gets in your hair.
For long-lasting use, it’s best to wear hair fibers when you’re headed indoors with air conditioning. Even waterproof or water-resistant hair fibers have issues with washing away and revealing bald spots if exposed to moisture for long periods of time.
Do hair fibers look natural?
When the hair fibers are made from keratin or even a cotton synthetic, hair fibers easily blend in and fill in thinning areas.
Hair fibers may be noticeable if you try to cover larger bald areas. In addition, fibers have to be matched to your hair color. They typically appear darker and don’t hold the light as real hair fibers, however. This is why they should be applied as close to the scalp as possible to avoid dulling your natural hair strands.