For centuries, artists, musicians, and legends of old have rocked the pencil thin mustache. This easily identifiable style is just as you’d expect: a mustache so thin yet thick that it almost appears drawn above the upper lip.
Check out the Best Mustache Trimmers – NEW
What is a Pencil Mustache?
A Pencil Mustache is a sophisticated thin mustache grown bordering or floating just above the upper lip. The style is precisely trimmed in the shape of a thin line and some variations include mid-line gap creating the appearance of two halves. The “pencil” reference comes from its visual style, as if drawn in with a pencil.
When trimmed and styled to perfection, this dapper mustache sets its wearer apart from all others, aligning himself with famous men like Clark Gable, Vincent Price, and Billy Dee Williams AKA Lando Calrissian who referred to it as a “forgot it was there mustache.”
Want to style your upper lip with a pencil mustache? You don’t necessarily have to follow any strict guidelines.
Celebrities with Pencil Thin Mustaches
1. Brad Pitt
2. Pedro Pascal
3. Henry Cavill
4. Diego Luna
5. Orlando Bloom
6. Milo Ventigmilia
7. Clark Gable Pencil Mustache
8. Vincent Price Pencil Mustache
9. Andre 3000
10. Antonio Banderas
11. Salvador Dali Mustache
12. Johnny Depp Mustache
13. Errol Flynn Pencil Mustache
14. Sammy Davis Jr
15. David Niven Pencil Mustache
What Face Shape is Best?
We believe that anyone can shape a mustache to fit their upper lip, but our research suggests that round, oval, and square faces look their best with this style.
See our Definitive Guide to Face Shapes
How to Get the Pencil Thin Mustache
If you want this neat, trim mustache, then you’ll need an electric trimmer and barber shears to neatly style this look.
In addition, you want to let your mustache grow out until it’s quite long, so you have some room to shave without the fear of cutting too much away.
Here are some tips to get the perfect pencil moustache:
- Start with a high guard or comb on your electric trimmer with sharp razor blades
- Pick the pencil mustache shape you like best
- Wash and dry your mustache hair first
- Comb out your mustache hair with downward strokes
After growing a pencil mustache, you’ll need to trim your facial hair daily. You’ll shape out the thin moustache just above your upper lip, then trim around the edges and bottom lip. Remember to go slowly to prevent uneven edges.
- Start with a longer guard (#4 or higher) and shave over your mustache until it’s all one length, use shorter guards until it’s the right length
- For the most clean shaven edges around the pencil mustache, remove all guards and place your trimmer under your nose, then shave down slowly – just a half-inch to start with
- Carefully trim around the top of the mustache and the sides, making sure they’re even with the corners of your mouth
- Keep your mustache flush with the top of your lip or use barber shears to trim beard hair away a very slender line just above the upper lip
- Apply a dab of mustache wax or beard oil to shape and shine your facial hair
The key to this style is not shaving more than you have to and keeping it aligned with the shape of your mouth. Anything too short on the sides, above, or below may throw off the shape of your face.